Notices

Back Again!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again!

So here I am again..... tried the tapering method to cut back on my drinking and looks like everyone was right! It didn't work for me I'm back to drinking a bottle of wine a day from 11 AM onwards and then trying to sober up before my husband gets home at 6. Not sure if this is a lot of alcohol to drink in a day or not? But I don't seem to be able to go a day with out it. I have decided that complete abstinence is my only option. I got to 3.pm yesterday and had one glass of wine and then another with dinner at 6.pm, today I only made it till 11.30 and had 3. Tomorrow I plan on having none. Looking forward to being able to post on here my sobriety achievement for Day 1
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Tapering and moderating were to hard for me to sustain.

If you are at one bottle a day- please remember to factor in that over time this is likely to increase- it did in my case

the longer you go the harder it is to stop
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Butterfly861, yes a bottle of wine during the day is a lot, and you clearly know yourself there's something not right about the pattern of behaviour.

All I can say is that, for me, personally, tapering didn't work for longer than ... usually less than a week. Day 1 drink, day 2 drink a little less, day 3 drink 'normal' amount, day 4 BINGE. Repeat ad nauseum (literally).

You can do it - and it really really really is worth it.

All the best!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Butterfly,
I too had reached the point where I could drink a bottle of wine a day....and was proud of myself on days I didn't! I tried moderating, but resumed daily drinking again. Quit last June.....easier than moderating, once over the hump. First three - to five days were the hardest, after that it got easier and I began to focus on the benefits of not drinking.

Please keep posting and don't drink today

P.S. I knew when I'd want some wine and had a plan to change my routine - so give that some though!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As everyone mentioned earlier, a bottle a day is a lot, and it's likely to progress... it did for me...

Try to do a bit of planning on how you will stop... What would you like to do with your free time... What are the things you love doing but didn't have a chance to because you were drinking...

Find some snacks/drinks that can replace wine. When your hand is reaching for a glass, make sure it finds it, just filled with something healthy. I have created a huge tea collection in the past month that I've been off alcohol. Brazilian Mate with dried orange peel is delicious!

And I'm sure your husband will be happy too!

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Will power while important is seldom enough. AA worked for me but check out other recovery methods on this site and find one that fits you. Come up with a plan to stay sober it is a matter of life and death
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One bottle of wine is over 4 glasses, I think. If you want to get technical, women are not supposed to have more than one glass a day. Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic though.

I started out at a bottle, but it wound up being about two and half at the end, or one of those big ones.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Will power while important is seldom enough. AA worked for me but check out other recovery methods on this site and find one that fits you. Come up with a plan to stay sober it is a matter of life and death
Hi Butterfly,

Aggreeing with MIRecovery here! AA was not for me but you need some accountability to keep you on track, so try other support methods. For me it was an addiction counselor with no AA. It can be done---just commit to it.......and you do not have to wait for tomorrow. Alcohol does not need a "Heads Up" warning, LOL!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've filled my fridge with some sparkling water which I'm adding lime to and I've downloaded a few books onto my iPad including "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife" which I'm reading all throughout day. I have found a website about a 20 day house organisation challenge and I've completed the tasks for Day1. I feel like i'm in the right place to be able to do this and I actually am looking forward to making through the day sober for once. So far the worst part of today is the anxiety and the feeling that I will have a panic attack at any moment... hopefully this will pass. Thank you for all your support, I will continue to keep posting.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to see you back, Butterfly. Proud of you for being determined - you can do it.