SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   the indomitable alcoholic mind (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/282817-indomitable-alcoholic-mind.html)

escapist 01-30-2013 08:17 PM

the indomitable alcoholic mind

Three and a half months sober. I am watching the news. My ears perk up when I hear that liquor can now be sold on Sunday. My first thought was Sunday, really? Then I thought now that I have quit drinking we can buy booze on Sunday. Like I am missing out on the convienence of not having to stock up Saturday night.
I do not want to go back to drinking, but only an alcoholic would think this way.

Taking5 01-30-2013 08:19 PM

You ought to be down here (Mobile AL), where the city is in full on Mardi Gras mode, and the bars are open 24/7. This is a terrible place to get sober.

escapist 01-31-2013 07:53 AM

When I first quit drinking. I would go shopping on Sunday because I knew I would be "safe". Timing is everything. Good thing I quit when I did. No more safe Sundays here in Indiana

MIRecovery 01-31-2013 08:54 AM

I still notice when booze and beer is on sale. Guess I still am an alcoholic

escapist 01-31-2013 08:57 AM

It is hard to believe that something so destructive still has a place in our everyday thinking. I am really mad at myself because my first thoughts were like 'This is good news" I am such a drunk you know?

whiskeyman 01-31-2013 09:05 AM

or how about when they come up with a new flavour of vodka that you wanna try and think geez why didnt they have that when i was drinking

escapist 01-31-2013 09:12 AM

I am in awe of alcoholism
My thoughts scare me. First I think how cool booze on Sunday. Then I think it's not cool for me. Followed by remorse. I am alienated to myself.

Weasel1966 01-31-2013 09:24 AM

Escapist... I think you may benefit from some simple SMART approaches regarding, what they call, Encyclopedia of Rational Coping Statements and Disputations. Here is a link...

SMART link

It take some practice but you just demonstrated the point in your last post. You saw the messages you went through. I do the same thing. Now I try to catch words or phrases that put me in a vulnerable spot. I try to replace them with the counter thought that helps me see things better or gain strength.

You may not like the idea... But thought of it as I read your thread.

:)

Ken

FreeFall 01-31-2013 10:53 AM

You are definitely not alone in this. I think things like "Oh, Super Bowl will be a great drink fest because our team isn't in it this year so no one will care about the game" and then remember I don't drink. Or, old drinking buddy is geting married, used to be one of my favorite people to drink with. I think "yay, time to celebrate" and then remember I don't drink. Even though it's been over 6 months I still think like a drinker (and probably always will).

Halzuzu 01-31-2013 11:14 AM

There are no "safe" days here in the town of Lost Angels. And if I had gone through my stash on Saturday night, I knew what time all of the local liqour stores and grocery stores opened on Sunday morning.

Halzuzu 01-31-2013 11:16 AM

And I also still notice in the grocery store mailers when liqour is on sale and I think "Oh wow, that's a really good deal...Oh Well!"