Notices

a new me

Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a new me

for the past 12 years my life has been controlled by marijuana.
I have been hiding this cross to bear for too long. Im ready to get sober and see life through clear eyes, I honestly cannot remember what my life was like before smoking pot. my wife hates it. she deserves a better man than me, and my 2 boys under 6 years old deserve better than that, Ive always justified it by saying "there our people that shoot heroin everyday" im just a pothead, I learned tonight that is denial. I come from a severe acoholic father, I remember the family meetings and seeing my dad relapse as a kid. I dont know what to do, where to start, who to talk to, who not to talk too, including my wife, im not ready to come all the way clean with her and tell how much of a pot junkie I am. What I do know is that I NEED HELP
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up weed and alcohol about 20 months ago.

Have no expectations.

Be prepared to go through some emotional roller coasters....and possibly what I call "brain fuzz" as I have had many moments of dyslexia, word recall problems, and inability to work out simple calculations without pen and paper, but I smoked and drank for about 35 years.....progressively drinking more/smoking more/drinking less/smoking less, but always or off and on drinking and smoking...... Everyone is different, you may not have these!

I couldn't live without indulging, today I can live a sober life. I used the 12 steps of AA since alcohol was my drug of no choice, I started with it and ended with it (had run out of weed about 4 days before I gave up the beer).

There are many methods to use to stay stopped including MA (marijuana anonymous) and these, which all have their own websites:

Rational Recovery
SMART
AVRT
Life Ring
Power to Quit
Women for Sobriety (probably not for you)

some others, if you search hard enough!

Some people do well just using this SR website and/or the chatroom!

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Yogster
Have you tried to quit before?

I smoked daily for 30 years or so, so I know what a wrench it is to give up, but it's not impossible.

I had to make some changes in who I hung around, and what I did in my daily routine, how I managed stress, and I had to find support - but I managed it.

I believe you can too - coming here is a great start

here are some links you might find useful too:

Detoxing from Marijuana - Marijuana Anonymous

MARIJUANA – A Guide to Quitting

Quitting Marijuana a 30 Day Self Help Guide // OADE // University of Notre Dame

D
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think I can add more to those awesome posts, but welcome!