Notices

SMART Recovery

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART Recovery

Hi guys, very new to this and very very new to being sober.

I'm going to start attending SMART Recovery meetings as of tomorrow night.

How has others found it?

What about in comparison to A.A. or other support groups?

Is there any group (specifically one that runs in NSW Australia) that is highly recommended?

What am I to do to prevent relapse or what are some tricks others have done that seem to work well?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Katie!

I'm not a 'SMARTie', but I've heard good things about it - I reckon you'll enjoy it

With SMART and SR I think you have the basics of some great support

D
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm not a member of SMART. I'm a member of NA. But I have read up a bit on SMART and it looks like they have some good exercises to do.

Natom.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SMART is a rational, science-based recovery system based partially on Albert Ellis's REBT work. It stands in direct opposition to AA's "spiritual" and personal powerless paradigm. I find SMART helpful.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks mate.

I'm not opposed to religion or spirituality if that's what helps certain people, more power to them and I'm glad they've found their path.

For me personally I wasn't interested in AA's structure based on it's ideal that you have to give everything over and accept that you're powerless?

It seems like the opposite to the way to recover. I feel like inner and personal strength is how I want to combat and overcome this and become stronger through my recovery.
I might be misinformed because I haven't attended AA but from what I've heard from others, it doesn't sound like a great stepping stone.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunate news, I missed SMART Recovery's 15 minute lock out last week because I got stuck in bloody traffic on the way there! But I'm glad I took the step to actually go.

I'll be going this week and make sure I'm there early! haha.

6th day sober today and I'm feeling a lot better already. It might not be months or years but it's the longest I've been sober in a very long time so I feel proud

Able to work out more which also seems to be helping with cravings and feeling stronger mentally and physically.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Have you been to any SMART meetings? How did it go? I've not attended, but I've heard good things about the program as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Looks like we cross-posted. I see you already answered my question before I asked it LOL
Glad you are feeling better
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with you. I suppose maybe there are some people who see themselves as powerless, but that view just doesn't work with me. If it does for them, great, but some of us just don't think that way and thus need something other than AA. I have the SMART handbook and I've read it - lots of great ideas, but since I've studied much of the underlying theory academically, it was more of a reminder and a way to adjoin my existing knowledge to my 'problem'. The closest SMART meeting to where I'm currently staying is over an hour away and with gas prices and the meeting being only an hour, I've not gone, though I'd like to visit one sometime. For me, I've been finding that a personal, attitudinal approach is working, but many of the SMART methods and techniques have assisted me as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've found a SMART Recovery in the city (Sydney) which I should be going to tonight if I can get out of work on time!!
If I get to it, I'll let you know how I get on.

Otherwise, I'll be going to one on Thursday night and I'll get back to you later in the week

Edit* I've heard great things about SMART Recovery too. Just from their site alone makes me feel confident in their structure and steps.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Agreed, completely.

The way I've combated most problems, obstacles, addictions etc etc. is "by myself" and inner strength. Once I've put my mind to something I can be unstoppable, I just have to watch myself for "weak moments". That's when I have a chance of relapse.

I quit smoking 3 years ago this May purely from mindset. I also got off speed/gas/base, whatever you know it as, and coke the same way. I don't like the "victim" and "powerless" thing. The point is to empower yourself, accept what is and what YOU can do about it. You have to learn to be able to handle life on your own shoulders, expecting god, people or whatever else to be your strength, to me, is putting your head in the sand and ignoring responsibility thus not allowing yourself for personal and emotional growth which tends to be a huge factor in drug and alcohol abuse. Emotional instability and/or irresponsibility.

This is just my view on things. I don't expect everyone to adopt my views but if I can help someone out of a hole by showing them a different way of thinking then I'd be really happy.

I've heard a great way to keep yourself motivated to staying sober is to become one of the counsellors at SMART which is something I'd really like to do, help people along the way while also helping yourself.

/rant haha

QUICK EDIT* That being said, I do find it lonely sometimes as none of my family or close friends have dealt with addiction like I have and It would be nice to have a "sober buddy" or "sponsor" or whatever it is to chat to from time to time, and relate to one another on that level.

Would anyone know a good way to get in contact with that type of "buddy system"

I might post a different thread asking this questions because it's quite specific. (Still new to this forum stuff so not 100% sure what I'm doing!)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR! Glad SMART is resonating for you. I think we are so fortunate to live at a time when we can investigate different approaches, and find the right one for us.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

is putting your head in the sand
Well... I'd be careful about sliding back into the second-person. The concept of powerless didn't work for me either, but I think there are a range of views about what exactly it means, some quite nuanced. And the fact remains a lot of people who have embraced that concept have gone on to live happy, sober lives. Different strokes, you know?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome

I'm glad I have a place to get advice and talk about all of this stuff.

I have very loving and supportive people around me but it's hard sometimes to talk and relate to people who haven't gone through addiction.

It has helped a lot with questions I was unsure about. I've never really given a shot at being 100% sober from everything before so it's new to me, but I'm confident in sobriety.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't mean to offend with that statement. That's simply my view for myself.

I find for me if I play the powerless victim role, I end up worse than I was before because then "it's not my fault, I'm powerless, you see?" and continue down the path with a terrible mindset.

Like I said, I've given up many things gradually over time and it's been by accepting I'm the one making the choice to do it, no one is making me, I'm not a slave to it, it's my decision and I need to do something about it.

That's just what works for me.

I'm really happy for anyone who can stay sober and have a happy life, however it is they find that
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have very loving and supportive people around me but it's hard sometimes to talk and relate to people who haven't gone through addiction.
Yep, that's the amazing thing for me about SR—people here get it. I don't do any face to face meetings, so this is my only real chance to share and talk about it. Been two years since I quit, and I'm still trying to understand it, lol...

Sounds like you know exactly what you want, and how to get it. You're going to be so grateful you did this!

PS: You didn't offend me at all, no worries. I just wanted to gently steer you away from too much comparing and contrasting; can get sticky around here sometimes. It's all good, Katie.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you have the opportunity to speak with people and get advice/support without attending meetings

I agree, I've made the right choice FINALLY to give up my last addiction. And what seems to be my worst.

And no I don't want to down grade anyone's belief or choice of recovery. Whatever works for you, works and stick at it!

I just went a little too opinionated about my method of recovery in hopes to help others see different options.

I tend to get a little too passionate :/ that's kind of what happens when you squash all feeling with drugs and alcohol for years then finally it all comes flooding back, 8 years down the track of being built up haha.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Could you elaborate on NA?

Is that just a UK based program/group or is it international (Aussie here)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think Natom was referring to Narcotics Anonymous, the 12-step program for substance abuse.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ah, right.
Thanks.