SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Things you dont miss now your sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/282606-things-you-dont-miss-now-your-sober.html)

whatsgoingon 01-29-2013 06:49 AM

Things you dont miss now your sober

I was in Marks & Spencer the other day with my wife, changing a really dodgy jumper someone had bought me for Christmas, Lol.. Anyway, We needed to get a few bits for our dinner so we entered the food hall and I happened to pick up on an argument this guy was having with his wife.

It went something like this..

Her: How many bottles of wine ARE you getting?!!

Him: Why? Just the normal, what's the problem?

Her: Come on, you don't really need all that wine.

Him: For gods sake, give it a rest will ya, its Saturday night.

Her: Sigh ~ (disappointed look on her face)

Him: OH! Ok I'll put them back if that makes you happy!!

Her: No No Its alri..

Him: YOU ARE forever having a go, its not like I drink all the time!!

Her: Sorry, get them if you want (sad, dejected look on her face)

It made me laugh at first because I had been in this situation so many times! Always claiming my innocence and making out that I was being hard done by. Thinking about it though, its quite sad. I feel really sorry for her. She is trying to stop him drinking and she's totally powerless and is made to feel guilty. Alcohol is such a manipulative thing, it controls us beyond belief.

I'm so so glad I'm not that person anymore and I can sleep at night knowing I'm being true to those who love me.

DarkDays 01-29-2013 06:57 AM

Very sad reading that, I had similar conversations with Mrs at times..Stark reminder why I am NEVER going back to alcoHELL and all the crap that goes with it.

MadameX 01-29-2013 07:22 AM

She should have let him put it back. Looking back I use to do the same things and my boyfriend would be like ok just the one. I wouldve preferred him to have said No your not buying it or Im leaving.

Windancer 01-29-2013 07:24 AM

I remember those convos.
I dont miss them at all.
Then I remember being busted for trying to hide it and lying.
Dont miss that either.
It is amazing how many people addiction affects.

paul99 01-29-2013 07:24 AM

that's why people start to drink secretly...

EnderWiggin 01-29-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sneeker (Post 3795590)
changing a really dodgy jumper

i really need to learn english.

in all seriousness, great post. that could have been me you were standing behind. minus the wife. i'd literally talk aloud to myself like that.

kizzy40 01-29-2013 07:29 AM

Oh my days, that reminds me of buying booze and the kids running up to ask for something nice and I say no as can't afford it...
Why? because I had a trolley full of poison!!
:(

Wastinglife 01-29-2013 07:31 AM

That conversation in the shop is one I had many times. I would usually grab the booze and jump in line to pay as quickly as possible before my gf could protest too much. Of course, at the time I thought I was completely justified and denial kept me from seeing her perspective...

Lost3000 01-29-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadameX (Post 3795637)
She should have let him put it back. Looking back I use to do the same things and my boyfriend would be like ok just the one. I wouldve preferred him to have said No your not buying it or Im leaving.

And how would that go over? I've been there too, and while I can agree with you, I think that it would've ended up in a fight and a huge resentment on my part. I asked my husband, why didn't you say something? And he said, I did! He also said, look, you needed to find your own way. No one can tell you what to do. He's so right!

Honestly, back then, if he said he was leaving, I'd say, ok! Because getting drunk was wayyy more important to me. Or, I would have put back the bottles and then found another way.