Notices

First day of a new life

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day of a new life

Hello,

I keep saying that I should stop drinking and I read lots of stuff... however until now, I haven't succeeded. It's not so much the physical I am addicted to but the psychology. I normally drink on my own, at home, in the evening, every evenings or almost, and a lot, more than a bottle of wine or half a bottle of gin!!! So I have enough. I feel terrible every morning, I look terrible, I am poorer and poorer, I can't remember what I have done or eaten, and I have no energy, I get fat and I hat myself!

So I have spent today listing the reasons why I want to stop - there are so many!! I want this day to be the first day of my long new sober life. Alcohol is a poison and I have enough of poisoning myself and my life. I will have to deal with my loneliness in other ways. Obviously I would welcome any help you might care to share, any conversation or advice, and I thank you dearloy in advance
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and kudos to you for deciding to stop drinking!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. What are you willing to do to stay sober? Coming to SR and reading is a start; you've made a list... Remember that it can take a while to change a habbit and you must stick with it no matter what. Tell yourself you are no longer a person who drinks. When that little voice in your head tells you it's time to get a bottle, look at your list, take a good look in the mirror, and tell that alcohol craving NOT TODAY. Maybe tomorrow but not today. Just take it one 24-hour period at a time. Also there's meetings and other great recovery online. Keep coming here, be open and honest, you'll do well. I believe in you.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks BabyJane and Least , I have also printed the 12 Steps from the AA and the list from SR "Looking for something to do". I think this might help. But this site should be my best friend, enabling to talk with people who've been through it and maybe even putting down in words my feelings instead of drinking them. I do like your 24 hour at a time approach, maybe tomorrow but certainly not today, I shall apply this immediately.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Anouck,

I feel that having the 12 steps is helpful, but having someone who has worked them is also necessary. I hit my first AA meeting last night because I figured out through countless failures that I couldn't do this without help of someone who knows the disease.

I urge you to consider visiting a beginners meeting too.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Maples,

I am considering going to a meeting also, but I dread it. I must be in denial and I see it as declaring to the entire world that Yes I am indeed an Alcoholic !
I have found out where the nearest meeting is, it runs on Sunday evenings which is very convenient for me and also very strategic - the last evening of the weekend before going back to work....
How did your first meeting go? How did you feel? Were you asked questions? I have heard about getting a mentor, who choose the mentor? So many questions....