A Day at a Time

My best thinking

My thinking was my problem
Attached Images
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey MIR. Hope you are well!

I have been adjusting my thinking recently. And enjoying the process for the most part. Good and bad days but that will always be the case.

K
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I personally believe that it is very important to get outside input because our thinking is often flawed. AA, SR, Rehab, friends, Counselors, whatever. Get outside of our squirrel cage brains and listen to other’s views and perspectives. I have also found the perspective I least like is often the one that is most important for me to hear. The one that pi$$es me off is the one that is right on the mark.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another day wasted due to alcohol. I hate myself for allowing this. I'm frozen in this vicious cycle and cannot seem to break it. And I need to. Any suggestions, my friends? I simply waste day after day drinking the hours away. I get basically minimal done.

I know it's not right nor healthy. I just cannot find the means to end this. For anyone out there, please...... How did you finally put the alcohol down and get your life back?

Thank you. I really need help and encouragement. I WANT to be sober. I really do. I fail and fail again. Maybe I don't want it badly enough??? I don't know. Another morning of a hangover, dry heaves and fatigue. This is no way to live. I wish there was someone or something that could show me the way to enjoy life and stop abusing alcohol. I really do.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Nazzy View Post
Another day wasted due to alcohol. I hate myself for allowing this. I'm frozen in this vicious cycle and cannot seem to break it. And I need to. Any suggestions, my friends? I simply waste day after day drinking the hours away. I get basically minimal done.

I know it's not right nor healthy. I just cannot find the means to end this. For anyone out there, please...... How did you finally put the alcohol down and get your life back?

Thank you. I really need help and encouragement. I WANT to be sober. I really do. I fail and fail again. Maybe I don't want it badly enough??? I don't know. Another morning of a hangover, dry heaves and fatigue. This is no way to live. I wish there was someone or something that could show me the way to enjoy life and stop abusing alcohol. I really do.
Nazzy, You may want to post this as a new message so people can respond directly to you so that it does not get mixed up with this thread. But to respond to your questions. I was were you are a few years ago and AA was the way out.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my best thinking has gotten me where I am today...,sober and sane, less depressed and healthier physically and mentally.

Nazzy wanting to quit is a HUGE step in the right direction, stick around and read, post, participate. (welcome too).
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you mir!
Great words there 'the advice that fecks you off the most'
My sis is a healthcare professional and has been telling me for YEARS what I was doing was catastrophic for my physical and mental health.
Why did her words upset and annoy me so? Because she was 100% correct!
haha!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
I hear you mir!
Great words there 'the advice that fecks you off the most'
My sis is a healthcare professional and has been telling me for YEARS what I was doing was catastrophic for my physical and mental health.
Why did her words upset and annoy me so? Because she was 100% correct!
haha!
Oh how I hate the truth about me especially when someone points it out
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So simple and so very true.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Fandy
my best thinking has gotten me where I am today...,sober and sane, less depressed and healthier physically and mentally.
Me too Fandy.
In the throes of my addiction I obviously wasn't using my best thinking.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I've always loved that quote. Absolutely true. Whenever ego starts to threaten to take over, I have to think of where my best thinking got me - hospitals, back of police car, detox, treatment, kicked out of the house, etc. That was me at my spit shine best!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When in a treatment program the counselor said to us, "Your own best thinking got each of you here." A harsh reminder, especially to those of us still in the throes of addiction. Couldn't argue with her observation though.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey MIR. Hope you are well!

I have been adjusting my thinking recently. And enjoying the process for the most part. Good and bad days but that will always be the case.

K
Hey hey Ken!! Was thinkin about you the other day!! Hope you are doing well.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My best thinking saved my life.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My thinking said I was not an alcoholic
My thinking said I could control my drinking
My thinking said I was only hurting my self
My thinking said my life was just fine
My thinking said that my physical problems were due to other things
My thinking said I did not need people that cared about me
My thinking said It was only a matter of will power
My thinking said I could out smart my addiction

I was 100% wrong on all of the above. So today I am smart enough not to believe myself when it comes to alcoholism. I instead listen to people who have been sober a long time and let them guide me on the path to sobriety
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like this quote... Similar to "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" (or however it's worded).

This quote brought on another "A-ha!" moment for me recently. It's from American History X:

"There was a moment, when I used to blame everything and everyone for all the pain and suffering and vile things that happened to me, that I saw happen to my people. Used to blame everybody. Blamed white people, blamed society, blamed God. I didn't get no answers 'cause I was asking the wrong questions. You have to ask the right questions."
"Like what?"
"Has anything you've done made your life better?"

I took it in the context of "have your decisions surrounding alcohol made your life better?".

I'm a bit long-winded today, getting ready for my first meeting in a while tonight
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
My thinking said I was not an alcoholic
My thinking said I could control my drinking
My thinking said I was only hurting my self
My thinking said my life was just fine
My thinking said that my physical problems were due to other things
My thinking said I did not need people that cared about me
My thinking said It was only a matter of will power
My thinking said I could out smart my addiction

I was 100% wrong on all of the above. So today I am smart enough not to believe myself when it comes to alcoholism. I instead listen to people who have been sober a long time and let them guide me on the path to sobriety
I think that you posted this in the Newcomers Forum over the AA 12 step because you are open to all perspectives on the old AA saying "your best thinking brought you....."

many people have gotten their best thinking and decisions when they realize they want to stop drinking...thinking for yourself is a sign of strength and hopefully helpful in everyone's getting and staying sober. I appreciate using my brain and thinking for myself...because it's MY sobriety i'm most concerned with.