Notices

Think I have got shingles

Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I have got shingles

Before I start. Yes I'm going to the doctor in a couple of days. Small town, all our doctors bar one are stuck in the city due to flooding (they were there for a conference.)

I've got all the symptoms of shingles, argh. Anyone had it?? They say it can be brought in by stress. Early in recovery, my business was just flooded a couple of days ago, daughters operations, etc. I feel so ill and in pain, not sure how much more I can take . My forearms are covered in this weird rash too and the only parts that are clear are where the scar tissue from injecting is so its glaring at me. Pills looking good right now.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, that sounds awful! I have not had the shingles, but I did develop a nice full-body rash about 18 months ago that was food and stress-related.

Is there any possibility that you can see the lone doctor left in town tomorrow? Maybe just show up in his office and wait to be seen? I am not a doctor or a pharmacist, but I think time is of the essence with shingles. I think there may be a nice anti-viral they can hit it with if you catch it early.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No I won't go and worry them. I've had these symptoms for a week at least already so ots probably too late for early intervention stuff anyway Just been in the middle of floods and unable to get anywhere until now so I'll just wait until Thursday.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

never had them -
if it comes down to pills versus the Dr tho - see the Dr MLC

D
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had shingles this time last year. Usually, it hits people over 50, but I was 35! Started off as a rash on the right side of my abdomen which turned into extremely painful blisters. I'm sure my drinking affected my immune system and brought it all on. I was basically house-bound for three weeks but I was too sick to drink so at least it kept me sober.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My mom had it a little over a year ago and said it was one of the most painful things she has ever had. Is there a doctor or clinic in a nearby town that you can go to?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had shingles about a year and a half ago and I can easily say it was the most horrific thing I've ever had to deal with, although I know a couple of other people who had it and weren't really annoyed by it that much so it does come in varying degrees. It can be brought on by stress (which is most likely why I got it) as well as a weakened immune system (which stress does). There is no cure for shingles and once you get it, you basically have to let it run its course. However, if you start taking an anti-viral within the first 48-72 hours, you can definitely diminish the severity of it.

My outbreak occurred on my face. Small red dots that at first I thought were pimples. I tried to pop a couple, and that didn't work - but that was also a huge mistake, too, as they spread by touch so when i touched other parts of my face, i got more of the red dots popping up. And my God, did they itch like wildfire. And not only itching, but a giant burning sensation under the skin with no relief - as well as like a vice hammer on my temples as if my skull was going to crush. I had the first symptoms on a Friday and researched online - thought it might be warts or who knows what and maybe it would go away. But everything was getting worse and the red sores (like tiny erupting volcanos) were spreading and coming down VERY close to the edge of my left eye, which was practically swollen shut by the end of Sunday. Should have gone to the ER immediately if I had known I had shingles and how dangerous they can be. But I waited until Monday and my dermatologist took me in right away and diagnosed me and got me on teh antivirals. It took several days to see some slight improvement as the red sores start drying up and crusting over, but it was horrific and I don't throw that word around lightly. My dermatologist said I was VERY lucky that I didn't lose my eye as shingles will go into the eye and destroy it. I now keep a bottle of a prescribed antiviral in my cabinet in case I ever see any sign of a reoccurrence of shingles (many drs. say you can't get it twice, but many people have!!!) as i am terrified of it. It is disgusting, beyond painful, and very dangerous. It eats on your nerves and that's why it can be so paiinful, and I still felt the nerve damage (repairing) - aka neuropathy - over 9 months after I had the shingles, many people have aftereffect pain for years. I have some slight scarring on my face where the outbreaks occurred and that will never go away completely.

if anyone ever gets shingles, don't procrastinate - get your butt to the ER right away and get on the anti-viral asap. I have no insurance, but I would not flinch in going to an ER if I had to regarding shingles. And yes, it is the chickenpox virus that has remained dormant in us if we had it as a kid - it reemerges later on in life, usually among people over 65+, but I was much younger and many others were as well. It's also not the same effects as chickenpox was - shingles is a million times more painful. And it's VERY contagious and can spread on towels and by contact.

Good luck to you, midlife. It doesn't sound from your posts that your outbreak is nearly as horrific as mine was, but like I said, they can vary in pain and intensity. Wish you well and don't touch or itch the rash-bump volcanoes as they spread like wildfire. If you see them drying up on their own and crusting over, it's getting close to finish running its course...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Sorry to those who have suffered(

I feel awful, living on double Doses of Panadol and aspirin. Woke up with this intense burning in the side of my face about a week ago then really painful things I thought were pimples in a line under my jaw and oh the ear pain. The rash on my arms isn't paibful or blistering at all. Just red raw forearms which looked like sunburn at first.

The doctors surgery is in the next town (don't have one here) and that's where the lone doctor is. We can't get ANYWHERE else due to roads being cut in every direction due to floods.

Luckily in Australia we don't need insurance to go to the er in a public hospital so if it gets worse I will try the little country hospital I suppose.

I'll just have to wait it out. Kids will come down with chicken pox next
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My brother had shingles. its kinda like adult chicken pox. a painful
rash thats super sensitive.

it can be brought on by stress. the most common place for the rash is on the torso.

i would definitely see a doctor as soon as you can!!

good luck!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agreed- needs to be looked at to prevent any possible chronic damage!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm going Thursday.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pretty sure my hunch is correct. 2 kids appear to be coming down with chicken pox.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Barbara Walters has the chicken pox....been all over our news. I had shingles when I was about 28. I went to the ER and they missed it - told me it was poison ivy. Finally went to pharmacist for relief from poison ivy and he sent me to doctor. Pretty awful and they didn't have much in the way of relief back then.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Get into the DOC ASAP. If caught early on, they can prescibe ZOVIRAX and this will slow it down or stop it in it's tracts. This is an anti-viral med. Also helps with chicken pox before they go out of control. hope you feel better!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

if you can't get to a doctor, can you go and see your local pharmacist and perhaps he can call the doctor and prescribe something over the phone???
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jules

My mom has had it. I guess if you've had the chicken pox then you have the virus living in you but it usually comes out in older adults. I do think it can be stress related.

My mom's was primarily in the nerve that runs down the side of her face to the jaw. She said it was very painful. At first the didn't know what it was, even my parents didn't connect the dots and they are both nurses.

Take care!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
part time member

I've had shingles and caught it early. Very red splotches and the pain is intense. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks, yeah I had that down the side of my Face and neck awful pain. Ugh. Doctors appointment tomorrow morning.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hope you can get some relief, Mid.... I'll be thinking of you.:ghug3
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks. Yep, doctor agreed it looks like shingles.