Notices

Think I have got shingles

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Anyone ever had the shingles vaccine? I've seen it advertised at the local pharmacies.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I never got the vaccine, but I did research it after I suffered through my shingles. The vaccine is supposedly only about 50% effective in preventing shingles so there's no 100% prevention, it costs in the $200+ range, and is usually only given to people 60 and over (although a doctor can prescribe it for you at an earlier age if you really want it bad enough). It's basically injecting you with some of the virus (like the flu shot) so that your body gets an immunity to it. Since I had shingles, that is the same theory that my shingles outbreak supposedly makes me immune from having a second outbreak (even though that's not 100% true) as it's now already in my system.

Also, I got a couple of things wrong in my earlier post. The nerve damage from shingles is not called "neuropathy", it's called 'postherpetic neuralgia'. The shingles virus (Herpes Zoster) travels along our nerves until it reaches our outer skin and that's where it erupts in the blisters and rash. Those blisters are where some of our nerve endings connect with the skin. Since the nerves are directly affected by the virus, that is why it can be so intensely painful and why long-term damage to our nerves can occur in severe cases. Shingles is no common cold or flu - it's serious business. Also, I said that shingles is highly contagious, but it's only contagious to people who have never had chickenpox. Those people can get chickenpox from physical contact or touching someone with shingles or something they've touched.

Sorry for another long health report rant. But it's all from info easily found online. I hope this doesn't break the rules about giving 'medical advice'? If so, please feel free to delete.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No vaccine here. We don't do vaccines at all. Family decision regarding chemicals etc.

Though I'm quite happy to pump myself full of street/prescription drugs as long as they make me feel good *rolls eyes*

Still have shingles. Pain has gone but they're still coming up. Annoying!