Notices

Newcomer

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

New here...I've been drinking too much for about a year now. I've wanted to drink less for the past several months, but I just start craving alcohol every day around the mid-afternoon and I become bored if I don't drink. So, I haven't cut back. I want to stop drinking and to reach a point where I don't crave it anymore, but I'm not sure if I can stop or how long it will take for the cravings to go away.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome palsgraf. You found a great place where we all understand how you're feeling.

When I first came to SR I was drinking every day. I found the strength and courage to quit for good by being here. It helped with the anxiety to know others had been through the same thing. There are always good suggestions and support here. Glad you're with us.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey,

Welcome to the forums. You can stop. It is possible. People on this forum are proof of that. Cravings and withdrawals are a tricky one to judge and are dependent on so many variables. Physical cravings and withdrawal symptoms can be dangerous so if you do stop completely I would go and see a doctor beforehand. In regards to psychological cravings. You will find they get softer as you progress in your sobriety. Until they pretty much dissapear completely. I've found it helpful to lead a structured life and follow a recovery program. I hope you find and get what you are looking for.

Natom.