Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new and trying everything I can to get sober... and stay that way! I'll take all the advise I can get!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there -
I was a newbie, kind of, 93 days ago and I'm 93 days sober, which is crazy considering the amount of hold alcohol had over my life. I was trying to remain sober for years but the one thing I didn't realize was that I was lying to myself! That was my biggest problem. I hid my drinking from everyone - thinking that was the way to maintain my lifestyle, but it brought me down...hardcore.

93 days ago, I was so sick of being sick. I hated AA and meetings but realized I've tried to do it alone and couldn't stay sober. So, I surrendered. Something clicked. I made a committment to give AA a shot because the facts are facts. AA has worked for millions of people! I was sooooo anxious, but I got a sponsor. I went to 90 meetings in 90 days and in the beginning I never thought I would do it or that it would help but let me tell you - these last 3 months have been life changing.

I feel better than ever in my sobriety. I am learning a new way of thinking and I'm happy. Peace is here and I've never had that before.

Because of this, my suggestion to you would be to try something different - immerse yourself into a program of recovery. It helps. Trust me. I was a daily vodka drinker (mornings too) for 10 years. I'm 31 and had no idea how to live without it. AA has helped tremendously. Good LUCK!~
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Solid advice from 773niki....I too found I could not do it myself, & believe me I tried. This time I too had to surrender....I need the meetings & the fellowship to guide me. I drank for 40 years!! By the grace of my Higher Power, the fellowship of AA, I will have 2 years in March...never could have imagined it in my lifetime...This sight is a great place to start for support...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, NashBrent. There are many here who are far more qualified than I am to offer advice on staying sober. I find comfort in knowing it is battle, sometimes minute by minute, that I have total control of the outcome. I will lose everything that matters to me if I don't win. Plus, I feel so much better after just 4 weeks of not drinking. Good luck and keep posting!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Determination is good!!!! Very good
Welcome to SR.
My best advise is to leave no recovery stone unturned, and if you slip up, dust yourself off and carry on, and tweak your plan/program.
I believe that to overcome this your mind, body and spirit require detoxing, healing and reprogramming (new lifestyle).

Good luck!