Notices

Liver scan needed

Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver scan needed

Have been told liver levels still raised today so have been referred for a scan. Has anyone had one?
Didn't ask anything as was sure they would be fine so was a bit shocked.
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi kizzy,, dont worry pet,, you are doing fab on 35 days , well done,, sometimes we worry over things,,and it does more harm than good.
keep being strong lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow 1 reply.....
thanks cleo... having a bad day, cheers means a lot
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't see your post until now, Kizzy. Crazy day here in my little dot of the world.

I've never had a liver scan so I can't really answer specific to that. However, my doctor wants me drinking a lot of water to flush my system. I also am taking vitamins specifically prescribed to me that I should have been taking all along.

I hope things turn out okay. Please keep us up to date.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi kizzy. Sorry I don't know anything about the scan. Try not 2 worry 2 much tho. A few years back I was sure I had a lump in my throat. Had to have a baruim swallow. Luckily it turned out nothing was there. But I worried myself sick for weeks about it. Good thoughts and prayers for you.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kizzy - I am sure it will be fine, they probably just want to check and see if everything is normal, no damage, that it is functioning as it should do.

Maybe you could ring the doctor and leave a message that you were shocked and you did not ask the questions you wanted to ask and he might be able to phone you and tell you why he has sent you for a scan and what they will be looking for.
And it is a painless procedure just using a machine that can give clear images of what is happening inside us.

The liver is an amazing organ and it can heal itself really well.

Keep looking after yourself and keep well - lots of good food and plenty of water will help.

Have you had a look at the Liver charities in the UK?
They might have some useful advice that is from a trusted source.

Worrying will not change the results honey.

Keep positive XxXx
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Probably few replies because we are not allowed to give medical advice (quite rightly).

I would get a liver scan yearly as part of my medical checkup. Pointless to worry now.

I have great respect and admiration for my liver, what I put it through and it is still serving me well.

all the best
CaiHong
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Probably few replies because we are not allowed to give medical advice (quite rightly).

I would get a liver scan yearly as part of my medical checkup. Pointless to worry now.

I have great respect and admiration for my liver, what I put it through and it is still serving me well.

all the best
CaiHong
I didn't ask for medical advice, I enquired if anyone had experienced a liver scan.
Thanks everyone much appreciated,
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never had one but it sounds pretty diagnostic to me - it's pretty routine Kizzy

D
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If it's that routine why haven't you had one?....you can have mine if you want dee haha.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

A couple of years after I quit drinking my liver levels were high, and coupled with symptoms I was having my doctor thought I might be having gall bladder issues, so she ordered an ultrasound of my gallbladder, liver, surrounding areas. One thing that does suck, is the person doing the scan can't tell you anything, they send the results usually to a doctor to take a look at. In my case it was indeed my gall bladder, but boy was it great to know it wasn't an issue with my liver, I was scared to death.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a couple of liver scans and there's nothing to the procedure. But, of course the anxiety is another story. Try to remember that being positive and calm will help the process. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep I can feel myself starting to panic a bit, thankyou so much for the reassurance. I'm staying well away from google before I convince myself I have everything from phantom pregnancy to rabies...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had enough other medical procedures to make up for not having a liver scan Kizzy

D
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
xuse

I have had ultrasounds and ct with contrast not much to either but everything was normal just high numbers I agree the anxiety is the worst of it
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Kizzy. I have had a fairly thorough liver workup. Ultrasounds yearly, I have had a contrast CT liver-spleen scan, and a liver biopsy. The Ct scan and the ultrasounds are not uncomfortable. I did have an IV with the dye medium, but I am not needle phobic.

The waiting is the worst part for sure. BTDT.

I have type 2 diabetes and was quite overweight when this all was happening. I did have some serious findings, but 2 years later, I am 50 pounds lighter, and my liver enzymes are normal. I just had them checked in January. I manage my diabetes with diet and exercise, not meds. All was caught in time to make changes to my health and I was told I should live a normal life span if I lead a healthy life.

And that is what brings me to SR, trying to keep that life healthy!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Was just thinking as I had stopped a miracle would occur and would be doing cartwheels with my new found vim and vigour in the first week haha.
I am overweight ( wow it's harder to admit that than being a drunk) and pre diabetic so diet is key for me at the mo, will deffo speed up the repair if I shift some bulk.
Thankyou so much for that rochele
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank God for good healthcare!
Precautionary, I am sure.
I find WebMD handy to look up a procedure or whatever.
Explains what to expect etc.
Of course, if you read too much, you will have yourself diagnosed with everything from chicken-pox to a brain tumour!
Good job on day 36/37.
Late here too.
Oh, the joys of being a night-owl.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Kizzy,

Lots of good advice above, I know I tend to get anxious about things as well, and that certainly doesn't help. Maybe you can try yoga or going for a walk to take your mind off of things. Both would work in that healthy lifestyle you are working on.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Likes like most other medical procedures... you lie on a table and they examine you with a machine. The hardest part will probably be holding the position they want like having an xray.