Notices

Liver scan needed

Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi kizzy40,

I hope this information does not fall under "medical advice"; this is simply my own experience with liver scans, and I'm not giving any advice here.

If your scan is an initial diagnostic it could be that you will simply have an ultrasound done on your liver. The doctor or technician will spread gel on your body, and then use a machine that uses sound waves to measure your liver. The way they do this is by comparing the size of your liver to the size of one of your kidneys; if the ratio is off, the doctor might conclude that you have an enlarged (fatty) liver. This procedure was pretty much a non-issue; in fact, I found it quite interesting to get a good look at my innards. When was the last time you saw your pancreas?

Alternatively, you could be in for a true liver scan, in which case the doctor will inject a radioactive isotope into your vein. Warning - this made me throw up! So be prepared for that; I wish the doctor had told me about that side effect before I had the scan. After the injection they will stick you in a machine where you will have to lie very still while they scan your liver to look for a variety of different ailments. Except for the very brief nausea, this procedure was nothing to worry about either. I wasn't happy about having radioactive material injected into my body, but I appreciated how important it was to get this done given the circumstances.

If this is considered "medical advice" please delete this post - I am not sure where the line is drawn, and I am committed to following the quality guidelines of this forum.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Um... I'm praying it's the first one! haha. thanks ruffian.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll share my experience. Not sure if it will help, but you are not alone, and don't worry. As someone said, it definitely can heal itself. I am living proof after liver failure. (Anyway, no need to worry until there is something to worry about, right?)

I drank myself into liver failure and jaundice a few years ago and ended up in the hospital. I was completely yellow, head to toe, eyes included (scary looking eyes!), no appetite, sick looking skin, odd bruising, I bled easily when pricked or scratched and it took a long time to stop, nauseous, no energy, etc., etc. My bloodwork numbers were "off the charts" and they discussed the possibility of transplant with my mom. (I didn't 'fess up to how much I'd been drinking, but I'm sure they knew. Also, I hadn't eaten in a very long time, except for a few crumbs and juice, mixed with vodka, of course.)

They did a CT scan and an ultrasound on my liver, gallbladder and kidneys. Astonishingly (to me at least), they were OK. I thought for sure I was about to get the worst news in the world.

Fast forward a few more days in the hospital (finally eating, as I had practically been starving myself while drinking, taking many vitamins, and rehydration by IV for the first couple of days) .... and my bloodwork numbers were improving and I was sent home to finish recovering.

Post-hospital, I had a bloodwork done a few times as a check. Each time, it was better and better. Now it is totally "perfect".

So, anyway, that's my story. I wish you the best!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thankyou mulch, so glad you have totally recovered .
I have gall stones and have to have my gall bladder removed...Just really happy thats all it is haha.