Notices

My Introduction

Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Introduction

I am 42 years old and have been drinking heavily for the past 4-5 years. By heavy drinking I mean 1 bot red wine and 1/2 bot spirit. I pour half of the red wine into a large glass - so it ends up as two helpings. The wine is pretty much done and dusted 45 mins - 1 hour, and thats when I hit the spirits. I could easily pour myself a couple of inches, put a dash of zero and have that consumed very quickly - I have to pace myself.

When I sleep, I mean sleep. I crash out. I wake up in the mornings totally dehydrated. Recently I have found that during the daytime I have been having the shakes, and even some muscle twitches in the legs - which a few times has brought me to the floor.

Why am I here? I want to learn from you folk on how to become sober and enjoy the lifestyle with it. I dont want to drink anymore. Tonight is my first night - its 5:55pm now and normally I am home by 6:30pm on the wine. Tonight I am going to spend some time reading the stickies in this forum and hope I can sleep.

Can anyone help?
six628
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us, and congrats on taking this first step. Take care of your body as you detox. It may be rough going in the beginning, but totally worth it.

Keep reading, and keep posting. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a lot of help here six628 - read, post and chat as much as you need to

welcome aboard

D
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!

I drank heavily for thirty years, so I can relate. It's great to realize that you may have a problem.
The shakes are a sign that you may be developing a dependance on alcohol. It's great to see you relaize this, and want to do something about it.

For many here a program of recovery works, like AA. Have you considered getting outside help?
I've been through what you're going through so I understand. It took making a decision not to drink more than the misery of drinking and all that goes along with it.

What works for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and where it will lead.
I could never drink in moderation, it was a drunk or nothing.
We're glad to have you here, and remember, many of us have quit, by whatever means, so you can too. And I wish you the very best on your first day.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The shakes are a sign things aren't going well between the body and alcohol.
When I first stopped drinking I needed to find ways to keep myself busy and away from alcohol. Clean out your house of anything alcohol-realted. If you are an around-town drinker, decide that you are going to stay home....that is what I did. I also found a bowl of ice cream when I had a craving to drink helped as it temporarily boosted my sugar which alcohol does when we drink. Read the current as well as past posts for other ideas on how to stay away from a drink. Welcome!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The sleep issue causes lots of us worry.
Me included.

What I would say is focus on your sleep hygiene.
Google it and see what tips you can pick up.

I drink a hot milky drink.
I read in bed.
I try not to get super stressed and angry if I cannot sleep.
I also try to 'rest' - lay in bed and close and my eyes if I cannot sleep.
And avoiding napping in the day also helps.
Bit of light exercise during the day can be useful too.

To put it into perspective, the sleeplessness will only last a couple of days.
No-one has died from not sleeping a few nights. Plenty have died from alcoholism.
You might find that you sleep even better.
I do now.
Alcohol made me wake really early and it caused me a lot of early morning anxiety.

I have 15 days to go until I reach one whole year of not drinking and I am really, really proud of that.

Its taken a change in life style and habits for me, but I have got there.
SR has been a major help in me achieving this.

Please keep visiting us.
Keep reading - I have learnt so much about alcohol and addiction that I was really, really clueless about before.

Let us know how you get on tonight.

I really wish you all the best!

I hope you find out how much sober mornings rock!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are having shakes after a night of drinking, I'd definitely see a doctor for detoxing properly and safely.

glad you found SR
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's some info that might be helpful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drink "Sleepytime" tea before bed time--Chamomile & other natural tea leaves....other natural sleep herbs are melotonin or Valerian root...Celestial Seasonings makes the tea--available in a lot of grocery stores...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is a structured path that addresses, the mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, and social aspects of alcoholism. Plus it is free and comes with an instruction manuel.

It has worked for me and countless others