Notices

Looking 4 help

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking 4 help

My husband has recently gone to rehab and I am so at peace with him gone that I am scared that I may not want him to come back, is this a normal feeling?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

I would say that you will need to work with your husband to help him stay sober.

Do you foresee any problems with this? Do you think he will leave rehab wanting to stay sober?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is a drug addict who has caused me great pain and although I truly believe that he will be coming home with the will and disre not to use, I am scared to open myself up to that kind of pain again. Is there any sure way to prtect myself and children from this?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is so nice right now being able to go to sleep without worrying about him. Him being gone has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders and just thinking about him returning stresses me out. Will this feeling go away or just get worse?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In a word no. No one can predict the future, however based on past experience you can make a fairly acurate perdiction. before jumping to conclusions, I wolld check out the alanon section.(support for family of substance abusers) lots of great support and advice from thoes who have been right where you are.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Sorry, I don't know how long he's been gone or when he'll be back...

There is information and support here at SR to help you prepare for his return. If you have some sort of "plan," maybe you won't feel so worried.

Is there much opportunity for you to interact with the rehab program?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will be going to my 1st NAR-ANON meeting on Thursday abd I am very nervous about that. I feel like REALITY is just punching me in my stomach and head and it really hurts.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by recovering2013 View Post
I will be going to my 1st NAR-ANON meeting on Thursday
I am so glad to hear that you are making that step. They can help you prepare yourself.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who has responded to me thus far. I am open to all suggestions and welcome your opinions. I am extremely greatful and hope that I will in time be able to help someone else out there going somrthing.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am very nervous about that.
The people at the meeting are very sensitive to newcomers. There is a video somewhere here at SR about your first AA meeting, I haven't watched it yet so I'll find it and post the link--I don't know if it's helpful.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is hanging out with other couples, where one is in recovery, a good thing. Like when my husband comes home and starts going to meeting, should I encourage him to invite someone from his group and their spouse over for dinner or something?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is there a big difference between AA an NA?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I feel like REALITY is just punching me in my stomach and head and it really hurts.
Many others have felt your pain.

There is a section of this forum for friends and family. But come here to the Newcomer's forum any time you need help in a hurry--there's folks here from all over the world.

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't be inviting his group friends over for dinner, after all, it's supposed to be anonymous, and them coming to your house would break their anonymity.

I'd just soak up all the info you can get at the nar anon meeting as they will have experience at what you're feeling. It's normal, I think, to be relieved when a loved one is away at rehab as it does give you peace in the home that was lacking when the user was there and using.

I wouldn't project into the future too much, just stay in today and get to that meeting. You could set boundaries with your husband that if there's any drug use after he gets home that will end your marriage. Marriage counseling could also be of help to get your relationship past these troubled times. That could be one thing you insist on to get things back to normal.

I wish you the best and welcome you to the family.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

AA is about alcohol, NA is about drugs. That's the difference.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Like when my husband comes home and starts going to meeting, should I encourage him to invite someone from his group and their spouse over for dinner or something?
You will want to be as peaceful as possible, with no big changes in your life. If you are the type of person who is used to having company over, I suppose you and your husband will probably find people at meetings you would like to be social with. You could easily plan a no-drugs, no-drink gathering.

NA and AA are similar programs. The most important thing is to find a group of people and sponsor you like.

Here's that link:

Your First AA Meeting<