Notices

can't think straight

Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can't think straight

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing good and hanging in there with their sobriety, I am on day 14 sober yay me, but today I feel off, almost like I can't think straight, sort of confusion and foggy thinking, its weird, has anyone else experienced this in their early stages of sobriety? and does this fuzzy kind of thinking go away?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a reoccurring topic here, so welcome to the "fuzzy club". Yes, it's totally normal, if you've been drinking/using for a long time, this is the first time you've been sober, even for this short while, you're readjusting.

Least mentioned checking out PAWS, they are symptoms that most people go through when getting sober, I think it may be listed somewhere here, but I bet you could Google it too. Good luck, I know you're going to be feeling better soon though.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

exactly how it was for me. it does go away- you're body just needs to adjust. congrats on two weeks!! that's a huge accomplishment.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes! totally normal I had another day like that around day 22/3 but stick with it.
You are going great, well done
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was pretty bad for a solid six weeks for me and gradually improved over three months.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

It's normal for the most part. I was a bit of a zombie for 8 weeks, if not more. Depending on how much and how long you drank, stopping for good and all certainly brings about changes in our bodies, minds and emotions in different degrees. On top of being fuzzy, I was also on an emotional roller coaster the first couple of months.

Good work on two weeks
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im just a day behind at 13 and i get the odd fuzzy day ,then its ok for a few , then back to fuzzy, its all good
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have definitely had a few days that I have felt I was in a fog, I still do sometimes. I am blaming trying to balance kids, work, and home; it is certainly NOT the fact that I am 42!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As vegibean and others pointed out, there are indeed some good posts about PAWS on SR - just do a word search to find them.

Haha, love knowing I'm a member of a 'fuzzy club' :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agree with the PAWS thing. I had a huge "case of the drops" for a while. I was super clumsy, knocking things off counter tops and dropping my keys etc. You are not alone on that one.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Chalk me up for that club too, day 21 here and fuzzy on and off. I hope it gets better over time, but I'll take this over nauseous, gut rot, headache hung over all day long!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats! 14 days!

Usually it is normal. I kept my doc in the loop with monthly blood tests and office visits in addition to my counselors and home group folks and most especially here.

Remember stopping drinking is a major change to your system and you need to be sure something unrelated does not go unnoticed in the rush of conflicting feelings and metabolic changes we are going through.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can do the hokey pokey till the cows come home, but I think I've done enough damage to my brain that it doesn't matter whether I'm drinking or not, I'm still compromised.