Notices

How to Breathe properly

Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to Breathe properly

One thing I find helps me to reduce stress, is simply taking a minute to breathe deeply for a few breaths. It seems so simple but it really does relax you and clear your mind, plus you can do it anywhere, and it's free! Thought I would share some information on

18 benefits of deep breathing -

1. Breathing Detoxifies and Releases Toxins
Your body is designed to release 70% of its toxins through breathing. If you are not breathing effectively, you are not properly ridding your body of its toxins i.e. other systems in your body must work overtime which could eventually lead to illness. When you exhale air from your body you release carbon dioxide that has been passed through from your bloodstream into your lungs. Carbon dioxide is a natural waste of your body's metabolism.

2. Breathing Releases Tension
Think how your body feels when you are tense, angry, scared or stressed. It constricts. Your muscles get tight and your breathing becomes shallow. When your breathing is shallow you are not getting the amount of oxygen that your body needs.

3. Breathing Relaxes the Mind/Body and Brings Clarity
Oxygenation of the brain reducing excessive anxiety levels. Paying attention to your breathing. Breathe slowly, deeply and purposefully into your body. Notice any places that are tight and breathe into them. As you relax your body, you may find that the breathing brings clarity and insights to you as well.

4. Breathing Relieves Emotional Problems
Breathing will help clear uneasy feelings out of your body.

5. Breathing Relieves Pain.
You may not realize its connection to how you think, feel and experience life. For example, what happens to your breathing when you anticipate pain? You probably hold your breath. Yet studies show that breathing into your pain helps to ease it.

6. Breathing Massages Your Organs
The movements of the diaphragm during the deep breathing exercise massages the stomach, small intestine, liver and pancreas. The upper movement of the diaphragm also massages the heart. When you inhale air your diaphragm descends and your abdomen will expand. By this action you massage vital organs and improves circulation in them. Controlled breathing also strengthens and tones your abdominal muscles.

7. Breathing Increases Muscle
Breathing is the oxygenation process to all of the cells in your body. With the supply of oxygen to the brain this increases the muscles in your body.

8. Breathing Strengthens the Immune System
Oxygen travels through your bloodstream by attaching to haemoglobin in your red blood cells. This in turn then enriches your body to metabolise nutrients and vitamins.

9. Breathing Improves Posture
Good breathing techniques over a sustained period of time will encourage good posture. Bad body posture will result of incorrect breathing so this is such an important process by getting your posture right from early on you will see great benefits.

10. Breathing Improves Quality of the Blood
Deep breathing removes all the carbon-dioxide and increases oxygen in the blood and thus increases blood quality.

11. Breathing Increases Digestion and
Assimilation of food
The digestive organs such as the stomach receive more oxygen, and hence operates more efficiently. The digestion is further enhanced by the fact that the food is oxygenated more.

12. Breathing Improves the Nervous System
The brain, spinal cord and nerves receive increased oxygenation and are more nourished. This improves the health of the whole body, since the nervous system communicates to all parts of the body.

13. Breathing Strengthen the Lungs
As you breathe deeply the lung become healthy and powerful, a good insurance against respiratory problems.

14. Proper Breathing makes the Heart Stronger.
Breathing exercises reduce the workload on the heart in two ways. Firstly, deep breathing leads to more efficient lungs, which means more oxygen, is brought into contact with blood sent to the lungs by the heart. So, the heart doesn't have to work as hard to deliver oxygen to the tissues. Secondly, deep breathing leads to a greater pressure differential in the lungs, which leads to an increase in the circulation, thus resting the heart a little.

15. Proper Breathing assists in Weight Control.
If you are overweight, the extra oxygen burns up the excess fat more efficiently. If you are underweight, the extra oxygen feeds the starving tissues and glands.

16. Breathing Boosts Energy levels and Improves Stamina

17. Breathing Improves Cellular Regeneration

18. Breathing Elevates Moods
Breathing increase pleasure-inducing neurochemicals in the brain to elevate moods and combat physical pain

How to Breathe properly?

In order to breathe properly you need to breathe deeply into your abdomen not just your chest. Even in the old Greek and Roman times the doctors recommended deep breathing, the voluntary holding of air in the lungs, believing that this exercise cleansed the system of impurities and gave strength. This certainly is of great value to you in your work in the world. Breathing exercises should be deep, slow, rhythmic, and through the nose, not through the mouth. The most important parts of deep breathing has to be regulating your breaths three to four seconds in, and three to four seconds out.

1. Inhale through your nose, expanding your belly, then fill your chest. Counting to 5
2. Hold and Count to 3. Feel all your cells filled with golden, healing, balancing Sun light energy.
3. Exhale fully from slightly parted mouth and Feel all your cells releasing waste and emptying all old energy. Counting to 5.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will not call off the search

Thanks for posting this. 12 years on crack and my lungs are messed up and I've been searching for a remedy. Thanks again
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Alison. Breathing properly can be transformational. The school of yoga I belong to regards proper breathing as essential to living a fulfilling life... every day we do at least 45 minutes of pranayama and the health benefits are are there for anyone who wants to access them. The infusion of oxygen, as you rightly point out, benefits mind and body and the practice of proper breathing is very helpful in the early stages of sobriety.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Plus, if you DON'T breath you will die!

Just kidding...Awesome post Alison. I always try to learn something new once a day, and your post on deep breathing was fascinating. I had no idea that deep breathing helps so many different function. Thanks for sharing.

Zube
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping My Eye On The Prize

Thanks Alison, I was just think about this the other day when I was having trouble relaxing and could not remember how it went, now I do, one more tool to help me out. Thanks Again!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Breath focus can be a path to mindfulness, or 'heightened awareness of the present moment'. When I started this, there was no effort on my part to change my breathing, just tried simply to be conscious of it to the exclusion of all of the other monkey chatter that went in inside my coconut.

I learned to appreciate that becoming the observer of my thoughts was the ticket to all sorts of good things, the most relevant of them is sobriety. So no matter where I am, or what is happening, I can get a grip on things, deal with urges to drink or feelings that might have pushed me over the edge, simply by paying attention to my breathing. And it's handy too, my breath is always there for me to settle things down.