Notices

tapering with beer?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tapering with beer?

I would really appreciate some advice on self detoxing.

Background:
in the past two years alcohol has become a huge problem for me.
This summer I began spiraling out of control, I was drinking all day emptying about a handle (1.75 L) of vodka daily. I decided at one point, this needed to stop. I researched and never knew withdrawls could kill, I was scared and checked into a hospital. I was sober for about a month, then unsure why, I began to drink again and two weeks later I was right back where I started. I checked into a hospital again with a blood % of .382 , nurses were shocked I was still conscious. Then despite being released after a few days, I still didn't feel "right", I still looked messed up as well. That night I had a seizure at an AA meeting. Thankgod it only left me with scuffed knuckles and soiled jeans.

Have been sober for 4 months, until Monday after a very bad first date. I went to the bottle, I felt so ashamed that I did, which caused me to keep going, I stayed drunk all week. Yesterday I decided to stop, but scared of another seizure. I don't want/ cant afford more medical bills. I need to do it on my own, so instead of buying another bottle, I bought a 30pack of beer. I drank 13 yesterday (spacing about an hour apart/ whenever I felt my heart rate raising) I have been doing 1 beer ever two hours today. I still feel light withdrawls (clammy skin/ shakey hands, cold sweat) but Im trying to go as long as I can in between, I give in out of fear when I feel my heart rate go up. How many have you done this?? how long until Im safe to completely stop? I plan on limiting myself tonight to one every 3 hours, tomarrow, 1 every 5, etc etc. Anytips? experiences? Old sobriety input?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I did similar to what you are doing, but it isn't recommended, as you know.

Nobody here is qualified to give you medical advice. I suggest you try going someplace like a freestanding "Urgent Care" place, have them check you out and make sure you are OK. That bill will be nothing like a hospital admission. They might be able to give you some good advice on when you will be safe to stop entirely, let you know what symptoms to watch for, and perhaps give you a prescription if necessary.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would kill for a 3-4 day worth script of adivan.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I agree with Lexie about getting to a clinic ASAP. Withdrawal is really hard on the body and they can get worse each time we go through them - it's just too risky.

Be safe and let us know how you're doing.:ghug3
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried tapering many times and it didn't work. The problem lies in the first step: I'm powerless over alcohol. Once that first beer crossed my lips it was over. I might have been able to manage drinking a bit less, but ultimately I'd get drunk again.

IMHO the best thing to do is consult your doctor because of your seizure history. I quit the painful way - cold turkey. 3-4 days of feeling crappy and the memories of the torture are actually helpful in keeping me quit now. This is dangerous, however, especially with the quantities you are talking about coming off of. Talk to the doc - a supervised medical detox is probably your best bet.

Good luck and keep posting here for support.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Boozehound,
At my worst, I was drinking the same amount of vodka on a daily basis as you were. I had really bad withdrawals when I tried to stop too. It scared me enough to stop hard liquor, and I also tapered with beer but I still ended up in the ER. With your history of a seizure, I strongly suggest you seek medical advice.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another vote for seeking medical assistance with your detox. You've already had 1 seizure, you don't need to experience that again.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think Lexie gave you the best advise so far. We are not allowed to give medical advise here or recommend you to taper. We want you to be safe though, and keep posting as much as you need to, use this place to document how you're doing today, tomorrow and the next day, and the next...

And the next time you think about picking up, remember where you are again. You don't ever have to go through this again. Welcome to SR...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I knew this was kinda the reaction I was going to get. I know Im powerless over vodka/hard liquor, the second that burning sensation hits my tummy I just want more and more. I however never in my life could say I liked beer. The beer I bought yesterday was probably my first beer purchase in 5 years. I am literally having to choke down the beer when I start feeling my heart race. I am pretty much treating them like medication.
I have no intention of getting drunk off them. Currently last beer I drank was 2 1/2 hours ago, Im sweating a bit and have mildly shaky hands, I feel a little overheated at times. I am putting a coldwater soaked hand towel draped over the back of my neck and it seems to be helping a little with all the symptoms. I have been checking my pulse regularly, last night laying in bed (trying rest) it was around 90BPM, currently its at 76 and I have had less to drink today than yesterday. I don't think I am in as big of danger I was back when I had the seizure. I am hoping the 4 months that I had sober let my body reset/ recover.
If I were to have gone on this bender say only a month or two after my last detox/seizure, I would be no doubt getting medical attention to detox ASAP. I hope my dropping pulse rate is a good sign, and from what I read it is. Im pretty sure because it was a week long slip after 4months without a drink, its just going to be uncomfortable. Im really using the beer taper method just to play it safe. I also am taking my regular vitamin routine: B complex, multi, flaxseed oil, milk thistle, and B12. I have also stocked up on Gatorade and a lot of good clean foods as I don't feel I should be driving for the next 5 days (just in case of seizure risk). I really appreciate everyones input, concerns and encouragement. I promise if I get bad/scared for my wellbeing I wont hesitate to call 911.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Getting some professional medical input really is best especially for anyone with a history of seizures, boozehound.

I hope you'll think about it.

D
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those seizures are terrible, and once you have one of them, you can have another one pretty easy. I am speaking from experience. I was told of this also after my first two seizures, but I did not listen and had two more seizures which almost killed me before I went to treatment.

I had tried to taper myself, tried eating "liver cleansing" foods, tried everything I could on my own. Bottom line is it did not work for me. I consider myself a healthy, smart guy, but I had to admit I was living my life completely at the mercy of vodka. I was almost at a half-gallon a day when I finally got help. Life has been much brighter for me since treatment. It might be time to start looking at the big picture. Easier said than done, I know. Best of luck to you, my experience tells me that looking for a treatment center and getting at least on a waiting list or having a doctor's assesment would be a good idea.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This disease is just crazy isn't it? Complete madness! 4 months ago -one min I am walking back to the group of smokers standing outside the meeting building, next thing I know I am waking up on a gurney in an ambulance with urine soaked jeans and bloody knuckles.(from them smacking the ground repeatedly) I had no idea what happened.
And yet still, I ended up crawling back to the poison that almost killed me after one date that didn't go so good. Just madness! I so wish I would have had remembered that night four months ago before I stepped foot in that familiar liquor store on Monday.
I was doing the same thing as I used too, expecting a different result, insanity!
sorry if Im rambling but jabbering gives me something to do.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I PM'd you boozehound.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im doing good with the taper, I had a beer at 5:00, then one at 9:00. I had a craving to go buy vodka and get trashed, but rented Leaving las vegas on amazon in effort to deter that craving, its the movie that made me want to stop in the first place. I saw that being me in 10 years. Scary! anyways. Im taking a melatonin, and hitting the sack for attempted sleep.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would like to make it clear I AM NOT RECOMMENDING how I am detoxing to anyone!
The best and safest way to detox is under medical supervision.
Im simply documenting my experiences using beer to taper off.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Whelp! Had my last beer at 9:00pm last night. It was pretty tough getting to sleep, but I woke up this morning at 10:00am, pulse @ 64, feel normal, no sweating, no rapid heart beat, my hands are hardly even trembling. I thought when I woke up this morning I would be crawling to the fridge to grab a beer. I am dumping out all the rest but two. Ill keep the two just incase symptoms start showing up. However if bed time comes tonight and I still feel normal, Im pitching them.
I know that they way I detoxed was pretty reckless and not the safest way possible . However, I basically avoided a trip to a detox clinic that would have cost me $1000's, by buying a $18 case of beer. My last trip to the hospital cost upwards of ~$3,000
So I know there will be haters, but $3000 vs $18 ???? wish I would have done it this way before. Would have saved thousands.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am glad to hear that you are doing well and that you are recovering.

Unsupervised detox can kill people and its up to each person to make the decision themselves if they want supervision or not. You've weighed your options and made your decision. This website just doesn't want to encourage gambling with a cheaper approach with ones life.

Congrats on your continued success.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

'Leaving Las Vegas' horrified me, too. Glad you are back among the living, Boozehound.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

48hrs without a drink. I have that "just freed from a cage feeling". caught 2 meetings already
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done, going well... keep an eye on your stats though. You can request a name change to freefromboozehound86 soon