Notices

Tragedy and first 30 days of sobriety.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sending you love from southern Oregon.
-Ted
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Never say never...

I'm so sorry ddrayer. I can understand you being torn, I have always had pets, they are family too. My good thoughts go out to you.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What an awful situation. Im so sorry for these very painful circumstances.
I hope your sister has a speedy recovery, and I hope eveything works out, somehow.........any idea why your dog attacked???
Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you and your family, ddrayer.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi ddrayer! Thanks for keeping us updated try to stay positive that your sister will have amazing care.. its unbelievable the skills.some of these surgeons have... its probably better they have no people skills. That means they're working hard at becoming the best!
Stay positive! My polish grandfather always says, "keep your socks up"
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

drayer, your thoughtfulness and compassion for your sister is unmeasurable. I have to say that I'm glad that the issue with your dog is out of your hands too, one less hard decision for you to have to deal with, it seems like your heart is more with your sister, and I love that.

Send her our warm wishes (or just say my friends are rooting for you, whatever), and hope she's feeling better soon. Dr's are amazing these days, you know the face transplants they've done? Wow!!! I hope they can put your sister back together and having her look at least 99.98% like her own self again.

Wishing for the best, and thank you for updating us. :ghug3
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Drayer, my heart goes out to you. I adore my grumpy dog, and I adore my sister, and I know you are hurting right now. Please be gentle with yourself as this all unfolds. You have a lot of people here who care for you and are rooting for you.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Any updates on your sister?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey Delilah! Yea some small updates.

She is still in the hospital. We met with two plastic surgeons yesterday. They seem pretty confident. They are going to transplant some of her lower lip and facial skin and move it to the upper lip. 3 weeks later they will do some touch up. They are going to try to hide the scars around her smile lines and nose. We don't really have a notion of how normal it will look but the dr seemed to be pretty upbeat overall.

She is first in line for the OR tomorrow. She is going to get to take a shower this morning (first since flying into florida 4 days ago!). Seeing it freaks her out so she had a bad time this morning when she went to the restroom without a bandage on it.

Anyway she may have to stay in florida for 3 weeks till the second surgery but overall i think things are as positive as they can be considering.

Been trying to get some excersize by riding my bike into the hospital. Haven't made a meeting since the accident and my sponsor has been pretty much a joke. I called him right as it happened, he seemed distracted Saturday night and quickly got off the phone saying he would get back to me soon. Last night at 11pm I got a text from him lecturing me on still making it to meetings. Wow.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

being first for the OR is a good thing...(before traffic and longer surgeries backs things up). The Plastics guys are being honest, if there was a problem, they would not give her false hope. Your sister is young and her skin is resilient too. I'm so glad that they are able to help her heal and repair the physical damage. there are amazing results these days, i've seen entire ears reconstructed to look perfectly normal.

and great job of staying sober through all this and getting some physical exercise. I'm sorry that your sponsor is not more sensitive to what you have been going through, but keep posting here with us. remember HALT and try to relax.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by ddrayer View Post
Haven't made a meeting since the accident and my sponsor has been pretty much a joke. I called him right as it happened, he seemed distracted Saturday night and quickly got off the phone saying he would get back to me soon. Last night at 11pm I got a text from him lecturing me on still making it to meetings. Wow.
Sorry to hear that your sponsor hasn't been able to be there the way that you need him to be. Who knows what is going on with him - we don't know. Sponsors are human, after all.

Regardless, yes, keep posting here - and wishing you and your sister good recovery
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I know I felt bad as soon as I posted. He has a ton of personal stuff too. I posted tired and frustrated and took my emotions out on him. I know he is human
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Drayer! Thinking of you and your sister this morning and sending good wishes your way!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Prayers go out to your sister, and to you. I am so sorry this happened. Hang in there and just remember-drinking will only make things worse.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm hoping the surgery goes well and that you are finding support!