Notices

Accepting sobriety

Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accepting sobriety

I accepted I was an alcoholic awhile ago...long before I quit drinking. I just didn't care enough about myself to get better. I am so glad I made the decision to stop. This time, my journey has been different because I want to be sober more than I want to drink. I had a tough couple of weeks recently. I really struggled with cravings. I thought it was strange that they hit so hard at the two month mark.

I had to keep redirecting my thoughts to NOT question why. I had to keep pushing on. To get through them.

I am so glad I stuck through it and continued working my recovery program (SR ,AA, prayer, eating well, exercising, reading recovery books). Tomorrow will be 75 days and this past week the obsession to drink has lifted. Again, I don't question why, I am embracing it and feeling grateful. There's a recovery club in my town and I go to a lot of meetings there. Tonight I hung out after the meeting and had such a GREAT time. Just chatting, laughing, drinking coffee. Last week I was "bored" and questioning if I would ever have fun without drinking. That was my AV. It died a little when I denied it last week. And my sober voice grew a little tonight..."this is fun", "wow, these are great people you're meeting", "feels great to be laughing, REALLY laughing". Every day won't be like this but I feel good tonight and this adds to my hope that I will make it further..one day at a time
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

75 days is great! Good for you. It's an inspiration for those that are starting out.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's interesting how so many of the rewards of AA actually happen before and after the meetings.

I should really start sticking around more. Stupid, but I briefly considered taking up smoking cigs again "just after meetings" to get that social time as a good many of the people there will gather outside before leaving. I met a lot of friends in college because of having to step outside of the dorm to smoke. The thing is, I put that addiction to rest a couple of years ago - don't want to go back.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at the meeting quitforme79. I hate to say it, but one of the things that has helped keep me sober was moving out of your state. I lived there for the past year and while I liked the geographical region, I hated CT. I'm just an upper-midwesterner at heart I guess...
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats on your 75 days and having that obsession lifted--it really does make one feel like a new person, doesn't it? Glad you hung in there!
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks lady I was thinking that too...I really look for inspiration on here and get it often. I hope my post can give someone a little boost to keep going if in doubt.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad that AV lost some of its power this week! 75 days is great Quit, proud of you!!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys Charlie...I am finally starting to come close to even liking CT and I have been here for 2.5 years lol Originally from NY and eventually want to go back but for now I don't want to make any big changes. Gotta stay where the job is and I am glad I am making friends finally. Most of my friends in AA don't smoke but still hang around chatting after so go for it And yeh...you definitely don't want to go back...that's my next thing to quit. I just imagine...what a nice life to not be a slave to ANY substance...sounds peaceful!