Notices

day 1. again.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy day 1. again.

I am new to this. I have not gone to rehab. I am going to try this on my own. Please, if anybody knows anything that can keep me busy or keep me from using please tell me. I wake up every single morning without fail telling myself its day 1. I go to bed every night without fail telling myself I will try again tomorrow. Its been 10 years. I can't ask for help from my family. I can't ask for help from my friends. I now realize I can't do this alone, so I ask help from you. A stranger who has been through the experiences I have, and is in the position I want to be in someday. Please help me. I'm not strong enough to do it alone.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There's tons of support around here. Have you considered checking out an AA meeting to stay busy and avoid cravings? Or getting a book or music. Maybe some cleaning or organizing of some type. There's always the chat room on here too.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Welcome. Being here is the first step. For me, it helped the first few days to just stick here and read, read, read. During your hardest time of the day, come here and read and post. Get to day 2. It gradually gets easier. You can do it.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

We can help you, for sure, but some in-person support in the very beginning can be very helpful.

Maybe you want to consider trying AA or NA as well? A supervised detox might help get you off to a good start--get all the poison out of your system so you can focus on what you need to do to be done with this for good.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welocome to SR. Read the stuff in these forums. That's how I kept busy in the very beginning. There are so many personal stories and suggestions for help. You'll relize sobriety is possible and you're not the only one with this problem. Best wishes!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Many of us have struggled to get it right, but have faith that you can do it. There are no magic solutions, other than getting through each day. Get rid of the alcohol in your house and don't buy anymore. Make yourself do something different at the time of the day when you start drinking. Don't give up and there is always support here at SR.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It starts with Day 1 for everyone. You can do this today. Just today. I really think face to face time with others who know this struggle will help you right now. Get on line and find an AA meeting in your area. You will find enormous support at those meetings. Every meeting is different, and different groups are different. So if you don't like the first meeting, don't give up. You will find the right fit for you, and it will help you on your journey. Keep posting here.....we will help you.
I truly pray for your success. I believe you can do this.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Posting on here is a great first step. I woke up and told myself the same thing for a long time too, finally I had enough. I didn't have the proverbial rock bottom where some major life change occurred, but I couldn't continue the daily drinking and all that came with it anymore.

I took a day off from work, logged on here and made a call to the chemical dependency department of my insurance. I met with a counselor and a doctor that day, and then tried a few different meetings. SR was my greatest support. That was the morning of October 12th and the last time I woke up with a hangover.

There are so many recovery options, spend some time reading on SR, checkout the secular thread for recovery options. Also, if you enjoy reading, Anna has a great list of books about recovery.

You can do this, make tomorrow your Day 2!! Log on here later instead of getting that first drink.