Notices

Pamel needs her own thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
For many of my clients, I find that therapy never really works and its way too slow. If you are self sabotaging, best interest would say you have an inner conflict in respect to drinking, something pulling you in different directions.

This can be solved by getting extremely clear on what you want for yourself, having enough compelling reasons to stay the course, ones that you remind yourself every day and excite you enough to get out of bed, and writing out where you are taking one step forward and two back. Its amazing what pen and paper can do.
Matty, you said in a concise manner what is really at the core of my angst: drinking (while fun for a long time) was what I was doing while many of my friends, one day at a time, worked their way into "a life". Because I was a "wunderkind", which only happens till 30, ladies, life was very exciting and easy.

Now, after two disastrous marriages, and now a 10-year relationship with a man (retired after the career I would have liked to have been married to) I have heard all the "great stories" 1000 times and we each "married" a vision of the other which we gave up to be together. Terrible mismatch!

But now I am 67 and wondering WHAT to do next. It also rubs salt into my wounds that those more "boring, but hard working" people show up as high profile achievers every day on TV.

This of course, does not account for the much larger percentage of casualties, normal people leading normal lives...

In short, I am going to therapy to get right-minded about what is possible in the next 20 (if I am lucky) years of my life to "get over it" and move on.

Unfortunately, the only time the bf "emotes" (as he calls it) and livens up is after a few scotches, so I guess I encourage that in him (which I cannot do).

The combination of this site, the therapist, and AA seem to be helping.

Thanks for you response.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Pamel,
I just found your thread and read it from the beginning. I can totally relate to the tapering - whenever I tried that I wound up back where I started i.e. drunk again - never worked for me. I'm so glad you managed to get beyond that. I am at the tail end of my detox (7 days ugh). Each day gets a little better. I hope and pray that this is it for me. I remember worrying "What's it going to take?"

Hopefully I will remember the awful hallucinations, the very real threat of losing my relationship, job, condo, not to mention my life. It CAN get worse. I've heard that some people have to die to get sober. I don't want to be one of those people. Today I have a choice, but if I pick up again all bets are off. Today I am sober and have a chance