Notices

My husband was my father figure

Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My husband was my father figure

I just read a post from a women that was married to a man who was her father figure. As I read a bit of her story I felt I was reading my story. It has been incredibly frustrating breaking free from his control. He is now using my children against me to control me. I have been sober for a year and a half on the 28th of this month. I am working my program daily and trust that in Gods time my children will accept me again.
I just joined this site and am so grateful I found you all.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Emerald, glad you hear that you are figuring out who you are. I can relate in some ways as I felt I was lost and didn't even learn who I really was until I first got sober six years ago. I was sober, and was able to find me, figure out that certain things, people and places weren't working for me. My X husband divorced me and when I got sober pursued me for the following three years, and I never wanted him back, I realized how unhealthy our marriage was which is where my drinking really took off.

I've had my issues recently, but I'm still doing okay, picking myself up and moving forward. Life is better sober. I am so glad you found us. You will get lot's of support here and I'm sure other people sharing will help you as well.

Welcome to SR!!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring hearing from someone who has found their way thru the early years of sobriety. After 26 years of marriage I am getting adjusted to living alone and finding a new pace to my life. As they say all you have to change is everything! God bless
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Emeraldcity.Glad you are here.

Congratulations on your sobriety and it is all about change, but it is change for the better,that is the good news.