Notices

Day 5 - and I have to go to a party

Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - and I have to go to a party

I decided on Monday to stop my 5 day a week and occasional binge wine drinking. It hasn't been easy, but with the help of the advice on this message board, I've made a daily plan to not drink, and with the help of my husband choosing not to drink this week.

Anyway tonight we are going to a party, a fund raiser for an organization we are both active in. We committed to this before I decided to stop drinking. I'm going in with a plan - club soda, decaf coffee....

I've been feeling good this week. Physically, I'm a bit more tired than I expected. I was expecting a surge in energy from not putting alcohol in my system, and am surprised that I've been tired at night and groggy in the morning. It's nothing horrible or insurmountable by any means. I've been feeling good because I'm up to date on my kids' homework, remember putting them to bed each night, and more chatty with my husband. I am not hurrying impatiently through work and family passing time til its time to open the bottle of wine. Solid stuff.

I have had thoughts of having "just one or two" tonight, but lets be real, I wouldn't be posting on sober recovery if I had just one or two drinks a week. Lol.

I can't begin to express how empowering these boards are - I never would have imagined I'd get this good of advice or support from strangers. I'm even considering an AA meeting.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Enjoy the party and be careful.
Watch out for tomorrow.
Weekend, and, you will probably get the silly idea of rewarding yourself for not drinking, by drinking.
Yup, that tripped me up a few times.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Husband is pre drinking right now bc it's a cash bar. I asked if it was a good idea, and he got defensive. "Is it a problem if I do?" Usually we leave parties early then drink at home. We are planning to stay til 10. I will go on Pinterest when I get home and drink tea. And wake up at the crack of dawn for kids sports feeling energetic instead of hungover.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't have gone to a part on day 5 especially if you're already having thoughts of having one or two tonight.

Those thoughts are much harder to deal with in the heat of the moment.

Are you really sure you *need* to go, Gleefan?

if you really feel you do, have a plan to deal with every eventuality you think might occur- and an escape plan .

D
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would go home now and start drinking that tea. I find that I need to do whatever I need to do in order to protect my sobriety.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My escape plan is the restroom, my smart phone and this website!