Notices

Day 10 and A.A meeting number 2!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 and A.A meeting number 2!!!

Well, it's day 10 and can't say it's all picnic, but I'm hanging in there. I went to my second A.A meeting and my first Women's group and it was great. I've been to a number of other meetings in the past on small islands, and I must say that this one had whole different feel to it.

I felt very welcomed by everyone. Every single women there introduced herself to me, and welcomed me back during their time speak. Heck, I even got 24 hour chip! It seems silly but I felt chuffed by all the attention!

I stayed to talk with a few ladies afterword and it also a positive experience. I let it be known that I had reservations attending my hometown meeting, so one of the ladies volunteered to go with me to the next one, which was really nice.

It was a really nice experience and I wasn't expecting it at all.

I'm glad I've been here talking to people about their A.A experiences enough to give it another shot, as my earlier experiences with the small Island groups were not great. Lot's of dogma and cynicism came my way in the and when I finally reached out to ask 2 of the only 3 ladies that attended the meetings (one was actually there for another reason) back then they both turned me down--which was, pretty rough for me at the time. Something tells me it's going different experience this time.

I"m not going to get down with the "God" program, or some of the other dogmas, but I think after talking to a lot of different A.A members about their perspectives, I think I can go now without getting quite so hung up on the language. Or, doing intellectual gymnastics and getting myself all twisted up into knots. Anyway, I hope, but anyway, so far, so good.

So, thanks SR!

Big Cheers for No Beers
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When it comes to AA I am just confused on a higher level and about more important things. Hopefully you will never have it figured out because that means you have stopped listening and growing

My rule of thumb has always been, "Do what the people who have long term sobriety and are happy do." They have to be doing something right
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glad you had a better experience, Gforce. Props to you on opening up:

Originally Posted by Gforce23 View Post
I think I can go now without getting quite so hung up on the language. Or, doing intellectual gymnastics and getting myself all twisted up into knots.
I'm still testing the waters w/AA myself. The language thing is not a big deal for me, but I'm a real loner & have a very hard time being in any kind of group.

I hope it works for you, or if not, you find another path to sobriety!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I think I'm going to work multiple paths to sobriety.

In terms of A.A, I have my reservations, but I don't have anything at all to lose by trying. Trying to stay "stopped" on my own, just hasn't worked out so far.

I use to think you had to drink the Kool-aid at A.A to get the program, but I think I can work a program that feels more authentic to me after talking to some Athiest/agnostic members here on S.R.

It's really helped me just to walk into those rooms for the support and the feeling like "hey, we're all here for the same reason." There is some power in that.

I'm still feeling like a deer stuck in headlights with this whole sobriety thing. I'm trying not think about the usual things that screw me up when I've tried to quit drinking before. I feel like I'm kind of stuck between a familiar but none to healthy cliff and the great unknown. It's freaky, it's not a lot of fun, and I think it makes a difference being around people who are there with ya or are at familiar with that place.

Cheers.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your higher power can be anything you choose.. Read chapter 4 in the big book called, We Agnostics... It an easy read and talks to this issue..

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_bigbook_chapt4.pdf

Keep going back, I live in a very liberal area and I'm in the minority because I believe in God.. No biggie.. To each their own! The only requirement to be a member is the desire to quit drinking.. Nice work, keep it up!!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome! Glad you had such a great experience. I am an atheist in AA and at first it was a challenge. When I came in for the last time, I realized it was sobriety or death and I was given the gift of inspiration. I have the tendency to overintellectualize things. Someone called it "paralysis by analysis". I related to that. I decided Rome wasn't built in a day and that I didn't have to understand it all, merely be open and willing.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gforce23 View Post
Something tells me it's going different experience this time.
Yeesh, I hope I'm not setting my expectations to high... I just have to remind myself to take any bad that comes along with the good....right?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You do realize that ten days is A LOT! Right?
You are doing something right.
Keep doing it!
The group is your Higher Power.
You are now in a group and there is power in numbers.

With regard to your last post.
It's called "hope".
I had that too.
Never loose hope.:ghug3
Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good going on day 10! You should be starting to feel clearer-headed and less anxious.

It's also good that AA is working out. You'll find it very helpful.

Have a great evening--get out and check out that moon!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Kewl--so glad to hear things are going so well!

Funny thing about AA, too--once you start figuring out what people are really TALKING about (as opposed to the sort of "terms of art" that are used--spirituality, etc.) what the AA program of recovery boils down to is developing and maintaining a good relationship with yourself, with other people, and with the world as a whole. The Steps are just a tried and true way of getting there.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 10 days sober and I'm glad the meeting was so positive for you.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Good going on day 10! You should be starting to feel clearer-headed and less anxious.

It's also good that AA is working out. You'll find it very helpful.

Have a great evening--get out and check out that moon!
Thanks Coldfusion! Yeah, I do feel clearer--semi-freaked out, but clearer, and less anxious.

It's kind of weird because a lot of my quitting fear has to do with ending the drinking aspect of my relationship with my husband.

I'm trying not to think to much about it at the moment, he's got his own fish to fry at the moment and maybe we'll get into a groove where we don't miss drinking together.

I find that going to meetings is definitely helping--I'm worried about running to same conundrums with A.A that I had in the past, but that's a subject for a different post.

Thanks for the support, and I'll let everyone no how the "hometown" group goes on Tuesday.

Cheers!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One more thing G--

AA, NA and Al-Anon all use the exact same 12-step program, so you might want to check out those meetings also. NA is my favorite meeting of the week--it's a great group and the meeting place is nice. I have also been to local Al-Anon meetings.

Look--6 PM and there's still a bit of light in the sky! It only gets better from here!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Gforce, I'm so glad your experience was so awesome, sounds like you found a great meeting to go to, sometimes they can be hit or miss until you find the "one".
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm glad I'm going. However, though I a have a few issues with the steps, I've got more problems with the Preamble! Any suggestions on how to get past that?

Day 11 and I'm still doing well. We're keeping alcohol out of the house, but strangely, I don't feel to tempted right now. I'm enjoying feeling clear and healthy!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice to get to really know sober people who support your goals, isn't it? Figure they couldn't stay sober for too long on their own, came in with lots of doubts and absolutes and reservations and fears, and suspicions they kept private for a while too. Most alcoholics are like that when new, in varying degree.

You'll recognize it in the new women after you're around a while. They won't suspect that you see yourself in them because they are sure no one has felt quite like they do.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, it is nice to get the support. However, this isn't my first time in A.A, and my reservations about some of the program don't have anything to do with being "new."

While I wholly appreciate, respect, and at the moment need a support group for help right now, there are a lot of aspects of the program that bother me, and I don't really buy into the fact that my problems with it are just because "I haven't yet worked the program right." As with the preamble, I fully disagree that if A.A doesn't work for somebody, that they are some how beyond help or mentally defective, or incapable of being honest with themselves.
As I said, while I appreciate the support and the intention behind A.A, I wish I didn't feel compelled to swallow unsupported dogma and what I call psuedo-psychology.
I hope I'm allowed to express my criticisms with out being labeled an "A.A basher, as I am going to meetings, so, I do find value in it.

Sincerely,

Gforce!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Try working those steps and see if your perspective changes. You have nothing to lose!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Try working those steps and see if your perspective changes. You have nothing to lose!
Yep, that's what I'm going to do, and that's the attitude I'm going in with.

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers!