Notices

Frustrated, bad experience at AA

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, it takes all kinds, and man, do we get the "kinds" at AA! Even great groups can have an "off" night, too.

We had a lady show up at my home group on Sunday promptly at 8 pm. The only problem is that the meeting started at 7! She got there just in time for the closing.

She looked so embarrassed I went over and talked to her, welcomed her, told her we would look forward to seeing her next week (at 7!) and one of the other ladies sat down to talk with her for a while. They were still there when I left.

So you just keep going to meetings, and remember every one of them won't be perfect. And do your best not to get all worked up about those who maybe did not behave in the most welcoming way. Part of learning to live sober is dealing with disappointments. People will let you down, in AA and in the outside world. If you hold up people in AA to too high a standard you are going to get very discouraged and resentful. None of those are good ways to feel and they grease the tracks to a drink.

Hugs, hope the next meeting is better.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
High on Life

In my area, we have many different AA or NA meetings to choose from. I have found most meetings to be rather cliquish, but once I got to know one person, they usually introduced me to other people. But even after I got to know some people, I never ever felt like the poplular guy in AA and I make friends rather easily in other places.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

My area has lots of meetings too. I really like the smaller ones.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Itchy is right, and at the same time, I don't think you should feel too bad. They probably don't realize you're new, sometimes we have to let everyone know that we are "new" at that meeting and then when it comes to a break you seem to get bombarded with all kinds of people, sometimes overwhelming so.

Don't be discouraged, I had bad experiences too, sometimes they're a hit or miss and then you may even have to try different types of meetings until you find the group that's just right for you.

I hope you're doing okay, scratch this day off, tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning. :ghug3
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Recovery programs are not about the people its about the content and the actions we take. Some people we will like some not.

Once I found a program I was willing to do, I jumped in with all the enthuiasm I coukld muster and gave it some time even though it was difficult frustrating and mad, it saved my life.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

In AA meetings, we expect all sorts of things, in fact I am expecting more from there . Get focused and don't look at what people do or do not do. Ensure that you attend the next meeting thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm not recommending AA over anything else, but my Momma told me "you'd better shop around."

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, girl."

I went to a LifeRing meeting which was a welcome breath of fresh air after the recitation and repetition of AA meetings. Everyone at the LifeRing meeting was open to trying "whatever works" without spouting quotations. A couple of people spoke of an atheist AA meeting which I'd like to check out, even though I'm only agnostic and not atheist. But it's a bit of a drive from where I am, and with the price of gas, I think I'll give it a pass.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I guess what I have to say is that you can opt out at any time, so it doesn't hurt to sample from the smorgasbord of all the different approaches that are out there.

How many people are still married to the first person they fell in love with?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Thank you for posting this thread. I actually brought it at an AA meeting to make sure we are doing everything the best we can to welcome new comers. I am sorry this experience s bad, but I hope you are starving for sobriety and you get your butt into meetings and shake peoples hands and get a sponsor. Your experience seemed bad but like I said it helped MY GROUP think long and hard about if we are presenting ourselves well for the newcomer. They are the life blood of AA and help us stay sober.