Notices

6 Months on Saturday but Also Wife's "Holiday Party"

Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Months on Saturday but Also Wife's "Holiday Party"

I am happy and grateful for 6 months on Saturday. The ironic thing is that the wife and I must attend her holiday party that evening. Her company does these late in an attempt to make December less hectic but seems to me like it just spreads out the "hecticness".

This is a new company so I will literally no absolutely nobody but I am sure there will be plenty of drinking going on. I am not at all worried about drinking myself. However, if I am honest, I must admit that I am worried and challenged about actually enjoying an event like this. I would love to go, chat it up, meet everyone, laugh, have fun and come home having enjoyed a great evening. Unfortunatley, these events seem more like a chore to be endured and I hope that does not come across while I am there.

I will make the best of this and know that I will come out stronger and healthier afterwards. Another learning opportunity, I assume. My impatient nature just wants me to go ahead and like this stuff already! : )
I will rest in the fact that however it goes, I will stay sober and it will be exactly as it is supposed to be at this point in my life regardless of "feelings".

Sorry for the long post. Just venting and learning about myself I suppose.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Happier,

Social events without booze. Having to mingle with a lot of people I don't I am trying to think of something positive to write to encourage you.

Perhaps use this opportunity to get to know yourself better in a situation where I am presuming you usually drank. Observe what is going around you,your reaction to it.

All the best
caihong
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Happier View Post
I would love to go, chat it up, meet everyone, laugh, have fun and come home having enjoyed a great evening. Unfortunatley, these events seem more like a chore to be endured and I hope that does not come across while I am there.

I will make the best of this and know that I will come out stronger and healthier afterwards. Another learning opportunity, I assume.
Congrats on 6 months! That's great.

Yes, the dreaded (for some) social affair. Even when I was drinking I didn't look forward to them. I was too busy judging everyone to enjoy myself, even drink in hand (or bottle beforehand, to be honest). But while I may not enjoy going to something, I always find a way to change my perception of things, so that I don't create a resentment. Not always easy, but I find that I enjoy things more if I look at it differently. Even if it's because I know I will make my wife happy, then that's enough for me some times.

But you're right - another learning opportunity! Have fun!