Notices

Gonna Be A Hard Weekend

Old 01-24-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gonna Be A Hard Weekend

What a bad day. Didn't want to get up this morning. First thing, stepped in dog poop (not normal for the dog). Below zero going to work. Got caught smoking at work this morning (I'm not the only one that does this). One of the trucks at work was in an accident (thankfully no one was hurt). Just the normal craziness at work all day. Then at the end of the day, the bosses come in my office and shut the door.......and now I'm unemployed on top of it all! After 5 years without ever being written up for anything - and I'm done for smoking! Making an example of me, I guess. My first thought was to stop at Mom's and have a shot. NO! AV go away! Made it home sober. Yea!!!

Hubby and step-kid will be gone snowmobiling from early morning until well after dark all weekend starting at noon tomorrow. So I will be alone and bored, for hours on end.

AV is really pushing right now. Gotta stay strong. Drinking isn't going to help, it will just make things worse. So...I will be spending a LOT of time at SR! Wish me luck!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OMG!! I'm so sorry!! (((Hugs)))
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi LindaLou and Congrats on not picking up Sorry to here about your job and that your having such a hard time.

Great idea to spend a lot of time here and maybe check in with your support or anyoone you can talk to honestly and openly.

Kevin
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Nothing is worth drinking over today.

Way to go on staying stopped!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Aww that's a real raw deal LindaLou ,
I know my firm are looking for any excuse to lay people off at the moment , things that once would have been verbal warnings are now subject to "courts of enquiery" with managers trying to prove how dilligent they are by exposing the most minor of misdemeanours .

It seems to me that sometimes we're given trials to face soon after giving up , almost like god, the universe or life wants to test our comitment to sobriety,

Keep strong, maybe there is a wonderful new oppertunity for work, self employment, self discovery or whole life change in the future you might not have realized by being in the old job ..
By staying sober we can be open to all that life has to offer ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the awful day. Maybe hanging here with us this weekend will be just the ticket you need to lift ya back up where you belong! We are here for you. Great job staying out of the bottle. Your day would have a big challenge for me too. your strength is truly impressive and leaves me feeling impowered. -Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks everyone! Job sucked anyway! I've always said...things happen for a reason. Must be something better around the corner. I'm not gonna find it at the bottom of a bottle, that's for sure!

So...I'm gonna take a little time for me. My job was all mine, I had no back-up. So I couldn't take more than a 4-day weekend off at a time or it would take 3 weeks to catch up. I haven't had a real vacation in 5 years. So, I'm going to look at this as a vacation while I'm finding a job I can be happier with. Part of my problems with alcohol was due to that stinkin' job anyway! I just feel kinda....lost....empty....weird.

Whatever....I'm not going to drink today. I'll say it again tomorrow, and the day after that...

Maybe I'll dye my hair and really make a fresh start!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lindalou! Sorry to hear about the job situation, that is really unfair. But, try to remember how much worse the situation will feel if you do drink. You will still have lost your job, but you will have the guilt and remorse on top of that. Post all day every day if that's what you need to make it through the weekend. Rent yourself a stack of DVDs no one else wants to see and curl up with some hot cocoa. Pile on the layers and go for a walk in the cold and enjoy the winter scenery. You can make it through! We all believe in you.

-Alison
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Linda! Drinking would just make things worse.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Linda, he fired you because he caught you smoking?? Serious? OMG, I'm so sorry. I hope you're going to file for unemployment. So, so sorry. :ghug3
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a day, eh? I'm really sorry about the job but it sure does sound like you could use a bit of a break and put your efforts toward finding a more rewarding career.

The great thing is you are sober!

I'll be around SR this weekend. I'll be keeping my eye out for you!

:ghug3
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi LindaLou. I like your attitude. You already know where a drink would probably take you. There's no help or hope to be found in picking up. Proud of you for realizing that! You're doing great.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

stay away from that first one

Linda, so sorry about your crappy day. I know how it feels to just forget everything (I mean everything) and just indulge in a binge. I'm only finishing up Day15 here, but I'm well experienced with many Day15s. As everyone here knows, just find a way to resist that first one! Try to find some project or have an event with your family for the weekend. I'm working on weekend 3 now, but I think (I know) I can make it. I'm an astronomer who lives at an observatory. I'm scheduled to work on the telescope all weekend. I never have problems when I am observing. I wish you luck in finding some manner of diversion or some way to elude that monkey that seems to ride everyone's back. I won't say "You can do it", because I really don't understand myself, much less other folks. I'll just say: I hope you can do it. My thoughts are with you.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks again all for your kind words of encouragement! I have a TON of things planned for the weekend: homemade beam & ham soup and drying jerky, spring cleaning (c'mon spring!), DVD's that I've always wanted to see (thanks Alison - good suggestion!) and an at-home spa treatment (yes, I truly think I will dye my hair!). Plus it's tax time....lots of time to get that in order. And, of course, lots of time at SR!

Gee....I'm not going to have any time to drink anyway!!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great weekend to me!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I definitely believe things happen for a reason, too. What a shock, though! You should be so proud that you didn't give in to the urge to drink - that's a real victory!

I hope you enjoy some time off (definitely apply for unemployment) and that there's something wonderful just around the corner! Hang in there!:ghug3
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Sounds like time to chart a new path...one that's meant for you at this time in your life. Sorry to hear about the job, but excited about your excitement regarding the changes to come.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
xuse

I'm right there with ya
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The first week I quit drinking I got hit hard. Problems with clients, problem with the state. I remember looking up at the ceiling in my office thinking God was out to get me. I managed to hang on. I am glad I did and all those problems got solved. They were stressful but I was sober (well actually detoxing) Your bosses sound like real d-cks. You are right though something better will appear in time.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Linda - I'm not an attorney, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night. Seriously, are there HR policies and procedures in place for work place transgressions? In order to protect themselves companies have policies in place and they have to be followed in order for you to be terminated. Typically they're a series of steps bc after all its more expensive to hire and train someone new than to retain you. I'd speak to HR if only you do it for the next person (didn't sound as though you were particularly fond of your job) who has the same issue.

I'm proud of you for seeing the silver lining. I found out Monday that I didn't get a dif job and first thing in my head was disappointment followed by: God has a plan and this new job isn't part of it. That is sobriety talking!