Notices

Can your mind cause symptoms

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can your mind cause symptoms

1st of all I'm at 29 days sober, I haven't gone this long in over 7 years.

I'm 43 and have been a drinker since I was 18...I'd say of those 25 years drinking, 12 can be considered heavy. 2 bottles of wine a night and if I felt tolerant I'd finish the night off with a couple mixed drinks.

About 3 years ago I started getting some very intense pains in my liver region, I stopped drinking for approx 20 days, pain went away(went to dr, ran tests and everything was fine except cholesterol was a tad high) I continued to drink but not nearly as much as I used to, in the past 3 years I think the most consecutive days drinking was 7 and that was on vacation and the most alcohol consumed at one time was a bottle of wine except for 3 times that I can remember where I drank like the old days and overdid it

Within the last 3 years every so often I'd still feel a little discomfort in my liver area, nothing remotely close to the intense pressure initially felt 3 years ago.

I found this website last summer, I wasn't drinking alot at that time but I was reading alot here and I noticed my liver discomfort was more noticeable in the past half year.

So I just recently went to the dr again, had all blood work done and everything is right in the middle, all liver function tests are perfect( Docs words, not mine)

The reason I ask "can your mind cause symptoms" is since my test results I haven't felt any liver discomfort at all and from my recollection I was noticing liver discomfort the more I was reading stories on this site.

Am I Crazy?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Since you asked--yes, I think you're crazy.

The famous surgeon, Alan Alda, said on M*A*S*H, that the liver was the soul.

Two bottles of wine plus more is a lot to process through your soul. It has been damaged, and needs help.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You are asking a group of people that engaged in insane behavior for years about mental health issues?

I had various aches and pains slowly but surely vanished the longer I was sober. We poisened ourself for a long time but the body can heal itself or because our minds are becoming unpickled we imagine things that are not there.

Keep in contact with your Doc because they are the ultimate authority but I would not worry unless it gets worse or does not go away after a period of sobriety.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I don't think it's a mental health issue. As addicts and alcoholics the majority of us have a tendancy to exhibit hypochondria. This isn't our fault. It's just the way our minds work. I knew that after I quit using cocaine there may have been a chance that I had a heart problem. I got checked out and there was nothing wrong. Fast forward 2 years and I'm on a different stint of clean time and I rush to the doctor because I want blood tests and ECG's done. I'm fine. Sometimes our heads make up symptoms, at least mine does. But sometimes it's better to get checked out anyway.

Natom.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

The mind is a very powerful thing, if it can trick a women into thinking she is pregnant then it can do what you described. My doctors words not mine!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I apologize for the " am I crazy comment" I obviously wasn't thinking that it could offend people who have been diagnosed with mental health issues.

I guess, I never thought that my over obsessing and anxiety would/could cause symptoms

I appreciate all the sharing people do on this site, it's been invaluable to me as I try to stay sober

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

I don't have much experience with aches/pains that could be phantom connected with drinking, but I can assure you that it is amazing what the mind can conjure up that gets expressed in the body.

My experience is one of being diagnosed with cancer - in my case testicular cancer, and although theres no such thing as a desirable cancer, out of all of them its probably the best one to get. My particular type, at the stage I caught it, is now 99.9% curable if it reoccurs (in the lymph nodes or lungs). I will have a CT scan every 6 months for the next 5 years, with chest Xrays every 3.

What I have noticed is that in the week or two leading up to the check-ups, I get strange symptoms. The first it was chest pains. The second it was general stomach pains. The third it was numbness in my leg accompanied by sciatica. All have mysteriously cleared up straight after each "all-clear". I'm part of another forum of testicular cancer survivors and my experience is not universal, but it is by no means rare either. Its all coupled with anxiety.

If you think my intention here is to for you not to be concerned about your drinking, then you'd be wrong. The anxiety is there, and it is worth listening to. After my op to remove my testicle, I gave up a 20 year smoking habit as easy as pie. That was one particular worry I really didn't want to have any more. Staring at the survival rates for lung cancer was an experience I will never forget. In that way I consider it (both the cancer and the anxiety it caused) as a blessing in disguise.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

29 days

My liver area used to hurt after drinking sometimes , sobriety seems to have stopped that from happening , i suppose some of what i felt might have been psychosomatic . Did the doctor know your drinking habbits ? I'm a bit paranoid about my liver and kidneys after my drinking career ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I honestly don't know the answer to whether sobriety after drinking can cause liver pains. But if it happened to me I would rely on the doctor's interpretation of the blood work (if you have confidence in the doctor) and focus on what to me is the real issue, namely getting into sobriety. The liver, if it is not damaged too much, has impressive powers of recuperation. Long periods of drinking, on and off, can make recovery difficult but not impossible. But the illness of alcoholism is progressive. If it goes too far it can wreck the liver and wreck the life of the person who owns the liver.

W.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my lower back used to hurt. Carrying in groceries would kill me. After about 2 months of abstinence it went away. I can bend over now no problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Recently I started falling asleep at odd times and my energy levels dropped. Eventually I went see the Doc, had tests done all the tests where clear. I have no idea what happened but all I have done is just check my diet and up my exercise and got on with life as my tendency to obssess with it will get me nowhere.

Feeling better recently. More energy again.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get intense pains sometimes and my doc has done bloodwork on me also and everything is fine. I try and just believe that it is my body rejuvenating and healing...I put it through hell!!! If it persists or gets worse/unbearable go to the doc again though for sure.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
29 days

My liver area used to hurt after drinking sometimes , sobriety seems to have stopped that from happening , i suppose some of what i felt might have been psychosomatic . Did the doctor know your drinking habbits ? I'm a bit paranoid about my liver and kidneys after my drinking career ..

Bestwishes, M
M

I did tell doctor I was a drinker, did I tell him how much? NO

I'm going to add to my existing life insurance policy here soon and I was told( who knows if it's correct or not) that life insurance companies can get access to doctor patient files.

But, I'll tell you I was really scared going to the Dr just recently.....I thought for sure I had done irreversible damage and believe me I don't want to go through this scare once again. I guess the only way to avoid this again is to stop drinking.

What finally got me to go was if something is wrong it's better to catch it early
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Does your doctor know your honest history? Did you ask if there could be fatty liver that is damaged that has caused pain even though the tests came out ok?

Pain is a sign of something, although it may be possible it was just your mind playing with ya. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, although I'd be writing down some questions to ask them.

Stay stopped!! You are worth sobriety!