Notices

Live And Let Live

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Live And Let Live

I believe I absolutley need the ability to Live and Let Live .

It is one of our AA slogans but hard to put into practice sometimes .

I believe to live and let live is to accept and appreciate the practices, opinions and beliefs of another person or group of people .

I believe it is showing tolerance towards others and respect for their own personal experiences and journey .

Intolerance only seperates people and causes resentment from both sides.It is unhealthy to AA, SR and society as a whole .

I believe intolerance happens when we base our impressions and opinions of one another on assumptions

We hear them say one thing we disagree with and we put them in this box not possibly knowing their experiences and we think we know what they should think or believe .

Intolerance or my inability to live and let live is one of the defects I came up with in my 5th and 6th step, before I relapsed not so long ago of course, I am back on 1 . .
The definition is unwillingness to tolerate or respect contrary beliefs or opinions different from our own .

For me it is the self centeredness of my illness. I had to be right.I had to have all the answers. I needed to be validated so I picked apart your beliefs and your opinions .

I'm sure it destroyed a few of my past relationships .

I don't need to be right today. I want to be happy .

I do not need to engage in petty discussions and prove I am right .

My self esteem is not that low that I am concerned about what others think .
If I want to live in peace with the world around me I need to live and let live .
If the way you are living is bringing you peace and contentment what business is it of mine .

If the way you work your program is working for you how can I disagree with it .
If the faith you have is guiding you comfortably through life. Why is that my business .

If what I am doing is working for me I don't have to explain it to you or anyone else .

If what is working for me appeals to you I will be happy to share my faith,experience strength and hope .

If you have something I find appealing I will ask you about it ..

One thing that is not attractive to newcomers to recovery is intolerance .

I need to be setting an example for every person that comes in the doors of AA. I need to let them know that AA is all inclusive .

They may feel different and misunderstood and when we are intolerant we don't try to understand.....

People are gonna die from this illness, I take it very seriously .

I don't care your race, religion, political views, sexual preference, all I care about is if you have a desire to stop drinkin .

If you do if I can be of help in any way, here I am. I definitely learned a lot about myself in the 5th and 6th step. I did not necessarily like what I saw.........

That is one defect I am ready to have removed. Intolerance has detroyed so many and many do not come back to the program because of it.........

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is one defect I am ready to have removed. Intolerance has detroyed so many and many do not come back to the program because of it.........

Completely agree. I think we've all got a little intolerance that we need to get rid of. I think it does stem from insecurity/low self esteem.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That post is completely on with what I feel I've been led to SR to learn. This is the best place I know of to bring the light of day to any defects that are in my character regarding all of this kind of stuff. In a sometimes humiliating, yet harmless and positive way.

For the rest of this evening I shall live and let live. I'll have a go at it when I wake up tomorrow again, also.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober

[QUOTE=Joe Nerv;3787165]That post is completely on with what I feel I've been led to SR to learn.

Wow sober since 84, awesome My friend way to go.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Deeker- great post, great sentiments, inspirational !!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Deeker, I consider you my personal Guru, thanks for all the inspirational posts! x
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
For the rest of this evening I shall live and let live. I'll have a go at it when I wake up tomorrow again, also.
I love quoting myself. I need to here, as I want very much to practice what I sometimes preach.

Just read the OP over again, because I felt it necessary. One simple response to something I said on this forum (not this thread), and my brain fills with clever retorts that I feel I absolutely HAVE to post. But I will not, just for today. This is uncomfortable for me, I must admit... but doing things that cut across my grain, when I know it's best, is how I grow. And I never want to think or believe I'm done growing.

I realized also that I may have to use the ignore function on this forum, as I really do want to continue participating here yet not feel annoyed by people who believe differently than I do, and feel the need to take subtle digs. People will act as they have to, and I will act as I have to.

Live. And let live. Thanks again for the inspiriing post.