Notices

first weeks feel like crap

Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first weeks feel like crap

Hey,
Day 13 from booze and I feel like crap. 13 day long headache, aching muscles, and tired. The worst part is (to my familys disapointment) I'm more moody than I was hungover.

I know this is part of the process. I would love to hear more about this from those who have gone through it.

ugh!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This too will pass. Have you thought about going to a doctor to get checked out? Your immune system probably took a hit so maybe you've picked up a bug as well. Detoxing isn't fun and it is different for everyone. Try to get nutritional food in to you. Take naps if possible. I am still tired; I took a lot of naps and I am going to bed really early. Being sober is exhausing especially when you are moody too!

Congratulations on Day 13! You can do this...keep on keeping on!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Atomic,

I went through detox with the help of a doctor. You should check if anything can be done to help you.

I read that you are debating a face-to-face meeting. That might be helpful now also.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took vitamins and stopped talking to people until I had to haha. Welcome and good luck!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No way around it, you just gotta get through it.

You should start to feel a little bit better over the next few weeks. It took me quite a while before I could say I felt GOOD, but little by little it got better.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Atomic - I was quite miserable those first weeks without it. I'd been drinking all day - I was very sick and shaky, moody, angry. Eventually all those negative feelings passed and I began to feel joy and hope again. Excitement for the future - and the feeling of freedom.

Don't be discouraged. It's normal, and I know you're tired of hearing us say that - but you need to heal. Be kind and patient with yourself as you enter this new phase of your life. Congratulations on your 13 days - that is amazing.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, the first few weeks are tough but if you keep on going it will get better. Before you know it you'll be feeling great. And if you don't start feeling better after, say, a month or so, then see your doctor to rule out any other cause.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

atomic, that was me last night, I thought my head was going to spin OR explode. I felt like I was on the verge of tears all day and I just wanted to hit something.

Maybe talk to your doctor about taking some meds to even you out. Many people find that taking anti-depressants helpful. I totally get the moods too, oiy!!! Sometimes I don't like myself. Good luck. :ghug3
Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oof.... it's tough.
My poor son, he got the sharp edge of my tongue a few times. It will get better...
Let me think, what has helped me?..
Hot baths, green tea (lots and lots of), chatting on the phone, listening to music, puzzle books, playing cards.
Healthy snacks, taking supplements( multivitamin) drinking lots of water.
If you are finding it hard to sleep make sure your bed is as comfy as it can be.
Don't give up!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You're doing great so far! Things should start to balance out over time. You abused your body for awhile, and it needs awhile to repair itself and get used to the big change. Vitamins did help, lots of water, naps whenever you can get them. Little rewards (food treats,maybe music or book you wanted,etc.) help make you feel better. It's worth it-hang in there
Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congrats on 13 days, I know how you feel, I went through hell till today, I am only on day 10, I feel alot better today except the insomnia and no appetite and some stomach issues, I hope I feel okay tomorrow too...but these withdrawals are brutall, that just gives me more insentive to quit cause I never want to go through the withdrawals again ever...good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lot of the moods and bodily issues should level out soon. I noticed my mind was foggy and shaky the first couple of month. Easy to feel overwhelmed, hard to articulate myself. All of that has passed thankfully, and my mind and body feel back to a state I hadn't known since my early 20's. Hang in there, it really does get better!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I have read all the posts about what to expect and the experiences of others. I have recently had 5 days and then back on the bottle. Starting over again today/tomorrow. I have blood pressure meds from my doc and anti-seizure meds. Other than keep the bp down and feeling a bit shaky/anxious which both meds seem to help with, I really have not experienced the numerous effects that many have listed. I am kind of irritable. But after the 5 days about a month ago, really didn't feel that bad. I do seem to sleep a lot. Can't believe I get 5 days under my belt and then back to the old ways.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, the best things to help me those first couple of weeks were lots of water throughout the day, a mix of vitamins including C, B12 and glutamine, and healthy foods (nothing too heavy, lots of protein). I started feeling more "normal" after 2 weeks, so hopefully the worst is almost over for you, too. Good luck on your journey, and please check back with us...
Old 01-24-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am very moody on weekends, when I used to drink from noon to bedtime (pass out time).

My family has taken a hit for this, but it seems to be getting better for me.

Exercise. Do something to get your natural high going by doing some hard exercise. Bodyweight squats, pushups, and planks done in sequence until you are exhausted works very well. Just need a piece of carpet to do them.

Hang in!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went though it back in August when I was able to quit for about six weeks (I lapsed and I have started round two a few days ago). It was an interesting experience, to say the least. I passed those very difficult evenings walled up in my apartment just watching movies (As Good As It Gets was my favorite because I found it uplifting and it always makes me laugh every time I watch it) and documentaries on the Roman Empire. Cool huh? Ha-ha! What's interesting is I always thought I was a night owl, and when I quit, I started going to bed by like 7 PM because evenings were hard and withdrawal was exhausting. So, I'd wake up at like 3 AM to start my day. It was helpful because I didn't experience any withdrawal until later in the afternoon and by then it was almost bedtime.

It all started getting better after about week 3 and week 4 I was passing the evenings normally without any thoughts or minimal thoughts of booze. I still think about it all the time and I am going to get it back! I hope you can experience this too because it was very liberating and it's wonderful and empowering!

It's probably going to start getting a lot easier soon and I am rooting for you! ^^
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was insanely moody... Told my husband to BE CAREFUL, and still we had senseless arguments every day... It started to really smooth down on the third week (this week). And when it does... it feels fantastic! I completely forgot about that sober healthy self... I'm sure you'll enjoy it too soon enough.