Notices

Im looking for substitute

Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im looking for substitute

Its day 359. I know its a great achievement. I also quit smoking (day 19).

I used to smoke every time I had urges or if something was getting on my nerves. Now I don't know how to cope with this.

I just don't know what to do when I feel stressed. Glass of water does not help. Im looking for substitute. Something that calms me down and makes me happy. Not drug related. Is there anything?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
Its day 359. I know its a great achievement. I also quit smoking (day 19).

I used to smoke every time I had urges or if something was getting on my nerves. Now I don't know how to cope with this.

I just don't know what to do when I feel stressed. Glass of water does not help. Im looking for substitute. Something that calms me down and makes me happy. Not drug related. Is there anything?
I wasn't a smoker but a habitual user (abuser) of smokeless tobacco. It took several weeks to get over the "routine". I tried gum for a while and it kind of helped a bit. My old boss quit smoking and started chewing on tootpicks all day long, which I guess is better than smoking all day!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a learning and re-learning process isn't it. Just as it was with drugs, so it is with smoking. After realizing smoking was merely a substitute for drugs I cannot continue, for there is no recovery process in that. I'm still using a drug after all!

To answer your question, I cannot help directly, other than to suggest focus on re-learning, not substituting. I don't know, I haven't quite figured it out yet myself. So I empathize with you here.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Exercise

Get out and go for a walk. The distraction of concentrating on each step and your breathing will help you with cravings and also be good for your health.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope4Life

I get these mood swings very often. Mostly in the evenings. I don't know how to control them. I just sit down and wait. They last 15-30 min.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Found reading is a great substitute for helping me kick booze. Cigs are much more difficult for me and nothing I've tried before has worked. Gonna give electronic cigarettes a try soon though. Know several longtime smokers who've quit by that route and swear by them.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd only suggest ya try the e-cigs if ya start smoking again though, and looking for another quit method. Congrats on 19 days!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

urge surfing may help~
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Caffeine free tea helps me. Ive tried all kinds and love em. Soothing, warm, and theres a ritual to brewing it etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fallow

Tea sounds good. Never thought about it. Will try. Hope it helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Homeopathics help me (controversial, I know), and alka-selzer gold is supposed to really help with nicotine withdrawal. Also, try and remember that real strong cravings dont usually last that long. If I were you I would bolster my system with vitamins and minerals to help the body cope with the stress of quitting. Good job and good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't believe no one has said chocolate yet!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have vitamins every morning, dark chocolate in the evening. Tea, coffee. But still I experience moments when I don't know what to do. I managed to stay away from the drinking, but cigarettes were great for relaxing.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Medatation. Being of use/ service to someone. Heavy exercise like distance running. If all else failed I'd go to bed early.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I use nicotine replacement microtabs and they are a life saver for me.

But I am trying to replace them with tic tac's as I don't need the nicotine anymore.

However I have strategies I employ when I am angry, moody etc.

They are

1. Cup of warm honey, orange and lemon. I think the sweet honey gives me a sugar boost.

2. A hot chocolate with cream and sprinkles. Again think the sugar helps.

3. I do some self hypnosis if I am on my own and can lie down. I like to visualise my special place, which is an old fashioned gypsy caravan parked under a leafy tree. I think about what it looks like inside and how lovely it is. I could spend hours doing this.

4. Do some aggressive cleaning - like the hob, hoovering at top speed, scrubbing bathrooms. I swear it helps as I get to release anger and the bonus of a glittering clean house.

5. Gather up the recycling and throw it hard in the bin. There is no glass to smash anymore as I there are no wine bottles or vodka bottles but it is still satisfying.

Keep going, honestly being a non smoker is amazing.

No more wasting cash on fags, stinking, coughing and worrying about your lungs is a lovely sensation.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I used to imagine killing all those tiny receptors in my brain that were screaming for their shot of nicotine.

I think we had an advert on the television in the UK a few years ago that showed them as little gremlin type figures, stamping their feet and roaring for nicotine. It was one of the stop smoking products.

I used to think of the satisfaction I would get from stamping on one and see it flattened on my kitchen floor.
Every morning when I woke up, I also used to smile to myself and think thats a few more gremlins dead and dusted.

Its been 5 years for me now.

Anyway its late, I must go and get in my caravan!
XXxx
Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I clean too. Its amazing how dirty light switches and everyday appliances can get... I quit cold turkey 3 years ago, best decision ever. Floss your teeth or brush them or both-think about how much healthier your gums, teeth and whole mouth are now that you quit! Think of the thousands of $$ you'll save by not needing periodontal treatment or that you spent on cigarettes.
Sometimes I'll run the numbers in my head... 20 ciggs / pack, 1 pack/ day x 7 days / week x $/pack.... whatever you get the picture. That's my OCD nature. There must be another forum for that.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Well done on quitting both things, Healthyfood!

I'm also a fan of healthy food, so sometimes when I'm stressed or feel the need to indulge, I immerse myself in cooking a nice, healthy meal. I find cooking to be very therapeutic.

Obviously it's not always practical because of location or time constraints, in which case I also enjoy a cup of tea or hot chocolate, as suggested by some of the above posts.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking, I got up in the morning and went for a walk, used the patch and one of my co-workers gave me some tea tree oil toothpicks to chew on. That worked for me. It is just like quitting anything else, the longer you get, the better you'll feel. And for me it was like everything else, give it 30 days, that's what it was for me when I think I finally started to feel less stressed about it.

Maybe making some hot tea to sip on? I didn't do candy or anything because I didn't want to add to the eating. I also starting working out regularly, and that was AWESOME!!!

Good luck to you.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are not alone! There are lots of sites dedicated to dealing with stress in a healthy manner. Some of them sound pretty corny but I have had to swallow my pride and try some of them. You know what? They actually help. Here's one link to quick ways to deal with stress such as a work situation. There are plenty more. Keep an open mind and hopefully you can find a whole toobox of things that help.

Quick Stress Relief: Fast, Effective Ways to Rapidly Reduce Stress