Notices

Boring post.... Yeah!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Boring post.... Yeah!

Heading to buy a new mattress this weekend. I needed one so bad.

Put the down payment on my car.... Which is a lot of fun to drive.

All with drinking and drug money I did not spend on drinking and drugs! Yeah!

The person I have been with a long while and I spent between 2K and 3K a month.

Over the last 42 days I have been sober 40 days. That is soooo cool.

In work a half hour early because I got enough sleep and just got up and out. Go figure.

I take nothing for granted but like the direction I have got things going in.

Heading to a meeting this evening. It's a good meeting. The most well organized I have ever seen.

Want to walk on my treadmill tonight as well.

Pretty boring post! I like boring at the moment!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The thing I love most now sober is my ability to ping straight out of bed. It amazes me each and every morning.

I also love spending what I have saved.....my weaknesses are shoes & handbags, but intend to invest in my home and get some double glazing. Big grown up spending

S x
Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

After I quit drinking and moved in with my daughter I had to buy a new mattress. Of course I had to keep questioning myself whether or not I really needed it or could justify buying it.

It's it funny how I never questioned myself when it came buying my booze? Why would I question myself when I need something that is good me?? Crazy thinking!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lady.... I totally get that!

My mattress will cost one good binge of coke and drinking on a single weekend! And I hesitate to spend it.

Not this time!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought to myself yesterday, "I should check in at SR but I have nothing to say be ause things are just ok lately and I'm boring!"

Then I realized that for me (and most if us) a little routine, normal, "boring" day or week is a good thing because I used to have nothing but crisis after crisis and drama. I don't even know how anyone could stand to be around me I was constantly having disasters and so self-obsessed it was shameful. I was never the one people could come to for support or help; I just sucked people dry and was needy all the time.

I am SO glad for my life today. It's really different. You want to know what I did yesterday? I woke up, ate toast, read the news, applied for a few jobs, met up with my sponsor, and went to Costco to buy food like a freaking grown up. I didn't wreck my car. I didn't go to jail or the hospital. I didn't get in a fight with a drug dealer or smuggle heroin over the border from Mexico. I didn't wake up in a strangers bed and immediately run to the bathroom to puke. I didn't steal from my family. When my friend called I answered the phone and listened to her and asked how I could help. I hugged my sister. None of this is extraordinary and I'm not saying this to impress people because its not impressive it's just living. The only really cool part is that I am grateful so I don't drink or use drugs. I want to keep this average, quiet, status-quo life. I'm not special or some kind of rock star. I don't have to be. I just have to be ok and not pick up.

Good post thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Man, I must pretty boring... Go to work, hit a meeting, get in a work out... Life is good...

That sounds like a better than average day... new car, all that.

Not boring, just free of drama!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Weasel.

And I agree with Mark.

My life now is not boring. It's just life, absent chaos and drama.

I like to call it freedom.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember being able to leap out of bed in the morning as early as needed. I am working on getting that back. Thanks for your post, it wasn't boring at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had my fill of the drama as was well documented here. So I just wanted to share how excited I am for the smaller things... Like a simple day and routine.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Boring?

So if I posted something along the lines of...well yesterday I drank all day, had not one coherent or interesting thought, did things I don't remember...that would be exciting?

It's a mindset.

I am neither bored not boring.

I do lots of things in life. Some are 'out there' adrenaline wise, some are way laid back...I wouldn't classify either as boring... What I do find boring is people who must pull their personality from a bottle. lame.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ya know it just hit me....

We, as alcoholics, live a life on the edge of tragedy. Some have learned to peer over that edge and never cross it. Other are still learning. But should we cross that line. A line made real everyday by both the past and the present, then we will have consequences that are not boring.

Long live boring people!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
weas...we crossed posts...yes I see you are saying boring=good right now. xo
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober and mark... I hear you....

I am focused on small things right now.... So yes... Life is not boring for me too. I have learned to spend time differently and love it.

But I just like that I have nothing drastic to post! I like that fact.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

With the lack of drama... I found over time that a contentment settles in... not always, and it took a while... but it is there, quiet and unassuming. And if I am patient with myself, something that doesn't come naturally, things get very interesting... even if it is just listening to music or reading a book.

It's cold, huh? Made a fire last night, we are lucky to have a fireplace, it doesn't always draft as well as I'd like, but since I have recovered, I have come to an understanding that if I build the fire correctly, and tend to it, the living room stays smoke free... I never really payed enough attention before.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Within the first two weeks of getting sober i'd managed to buy and install a shower in my bathroom , i'd been planning to do it for the three years beforehand . Such a small thing it cost £40 and two hours to fit and it makes me feel so much cleaner and refreshed than a bath .

Having a clean and comfy bed is definately a good step towards good rest , like we need when our bodys are still recovering from the abuse we put it through .

BTW when i stand up on stage and sing it is far more thrilling than anything to do with drinking ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have'nt had an attack of stir crazy yet. I am trying to master routine living now. I am still in the ,"Wow, I am sober" stage. Things like driving anywhere I want to go at anytime without being drunk is still a breath taking thrill for me.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think that's WONDERFUL!!!! Not boring. SWEET WEASEL!!! *****OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I have'nt had an attack of stir crazy yet. I am trying to master routine living now. I am still in the ,"Wow, I am sober" stage. Things like driving anywhere I want to go at anytime without being drunk is still a breath taking thrill for me.

I can identify with every post in this thread.

Yes, the driving thing. About a month ago my old car died as I was going about 60 MPH down the freeway. I was able to get over to the side of the road without incident, but my car was absolutely dead.

Within a minute a cop came out of nowhere and pulled up behind me.

It was dark outside, and those lights almost sent me into a panic. But guess what? I was sober, my license was not suspended, my registration tags were current, and I had insurance (he didn't ask to see any of those things, but if he had, it was all good). I had nothing to worry about. The cop called me a tow truck and that was it.

If this had happened last summer, there would have been a good chance I'd be drunk, with no insurance and possibly a suspended license.

So yeah man, I appreciate the little things sobriety gives me.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love this thread! I am on day 3 (woo hoo) and am still in the ashamed and anxious phase. but I do have to say, waking up these three days is awesome, tho it takes me a minute to realize that I am not hungover and/or in trouble. What a feeling! What a great great feeling! I love it so much, I think I'll keep it. I can't wait to embrace 'bored' and not associate it with 'time to drink'. Thanks Weas, once again, you guys gave me the light at the end of the tunnel. I love it here :ghug3

Last edited by LindseyMarie; 01-22-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: because I can't spell.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix
BTW when i stand up on stage and sing it is far more thrilling than anything to do with drinking ..
See, this makes you a badass in my book. You do something that so many people "can't"(which really only means "won't") because they are too afraid.

It takes courage to make life changes, to do things without drinking that have always been done with booze, to really live authentically. It is, in essence, fearlessness, and it is quite an exciting way to approach life.