Notices

ideas for dealing with stress...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ideas for dealing with stress...

So this might be stating the obvious but I've chalked up my drinking patterns to two different scenarios:

Social/Fun - when things are great, watching a game, enjoying the outdoors, you know - the commercial view of drinking. Although my friends aren't quite as attractive.

Stress - When things get stressful I would crack a beer or pour a glass of wine. When they got really stressful I would precede that glass with one - you name it shots of my choice bourbon for that week.

I have a pretty good handle on enjoying life without alcohol and realize with my active lifestyle (outdoors) as well as playing music for various venues everything is better sober and/or not hungover.

However, I'd like to brainstorm ways of dealing with stress and would love some ideas for coping. I know dealing with stress is normal human behavior and should come naturally. For over 10 years my dealing has come from the bottle or can. And it was very effective for a while.

Now that I have embarked on this journey I need to find new coping mechanisms. Especially with a new baby coming (where I will be Mr. Mom alone quite a bit... for long periods of time).

That happens in August which I feel if I can really, really give it a go starting now... 7 months from now I'll be in the drivers seat.

Simple advice and personal experiences with coping strategies would be greatly appreciated...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the Serenity Prayer works for me....

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

It takes practice to get good at it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yoga and hiking or long walks help me.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So far, all of the above, and if it is out of your control, learning to let go and know that you have no control over, however the situation is going to fix itself, so be it.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exercise and meditation are both fantastic stress busters.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Exercise! Adding regular exercise to my recovery program has worked wonders! Also going places I feel spiritually connected (for me its outside in nature, the beach or high places) seems to reduce stress.

If you can truly apply the Serenity Prayer to your life, that helps a lot as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have started running again and it's amazing how much better I run. I used to use running as an excuse to drink more later in the day. Now it's more of a reason to meditate. I've really found it clears my mind.

I've always dreamed of doing a half and booze has stopped me in my tracks year after year.

Maybe this is my year.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise really works for me Paddler

D
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not drinking in itself makes stress easier to cope with. Many a time I have wished away a stressful day so I could get to the bit where I was drinking. Now slightly unbelievably I relish stressful situations. I started seeing it as an opportunity rather than an excuse to drink. And when it was all over I could just do what I would normally do to unwind (films/music/bath) without having to make sure I had extra booze.

If I have to get rid of excess anger or adrenaline though... very loud angry music or a long walk usually does the trick.