SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I got my license back 2 days ago! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/281633-i-got-my-license-back-2-days-ago.html)

Soberish 01-20-2013 11:33 PM

I got my license back 2 days ago!

I was 20 years old and under the drinking age when I got my first DUI so I lost it for a year rather than 6 months. I got it back and lost it again 9 months later to DUI number two. I haven't had a license since December 17th 2010. I had to meet once a week for an 18 month program I completed this past September, it costed somewhere around 1,600 dollars. I had to pay for 12 days of work program rather than go to jail which costed 50 dollars for enrollment and 10 dollars per day for a total of 170 dollars. I had to pay 157 for a license reissue fee and get an SR-22 insurance that costs 47 dollars a month. This doesnt include the 1st DUIs three month program which i didnt learn anything from (probably because the punishment wasnt as severe or because i didnt catch the problematic routine that alcohol/drug use was causing).

All this was worth it though because I learned a lot from this second DUI. I quit smoking marijuana a month after I got this past DUI, it was actually harder than quitting drinking. I thought I would never stop smoking as life was sooooo dull (so i thought) at the time without it. I quit drinking this past November. I now feel free, not perfectly great at all times but free. I now look forward to keeping my license. Instead of spening all my money on drugs and alcohol, I now have money set aside to buy my own car sometime before my 25th birthday. I now look forward to learning how to live the right way. All because of this second DUI. It really was a blessing in disguise.

Soberish 01-20-2013 11:36 PM

Oh Yea and I forgot, I now look forward to DRIVING MYSELF places instead of relying on others or public transportation!

MythOfSisyphus 01-21-2013 01:08 AM

Congrats! Sounds like you took some lemons and made some sweet 'n' tasty lemonade!:c011: You're smarter than some- I've worked with a lot of guys that had three DUIs or more.

masterscorpio77 01-21-2013 06:17 PM

I am in the same boat myself. I haven't had my license for quite some time. I tried to get it back and was denied. But I am going for it again this year. The only problem is coming up with all the money, but seems like this year I can successfully get it back.

I will have a bunch of hoops to follow, but that is the price that I have to pay for my mistakes.

Congrats on getting it back.

I have an M.B.A now, and not having a license really sucks when you think about it.

Soberish 01-21-2013 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus (Post 3782128)
Congrats! Sounds like you took some lemons and made some sweet 'n' tasty lemonade!:c011: You're smarter than some- I've worked with a lot of guys that had three DUIs or more.

Great analogy. While doing my DUI class there was a lot of 3 time offenders. There was also one person that had gotten manslaughter charges and went to jail for 3 years for killing somebody while drinking and driving. He had to do the program once he got out of prison. Hard to believe they only gave him manslaughter. I'm glad I never injured anyone while drinking and driving.

Originally Posted by masterscorpio77 (Post 3783534)
I am in the same boat myself. I haven't had my license for quite some time. I tried to get it back and was denied. But I am going for it again this year. The only problem is coming up with all the money, but seems like this year I can successfully get it back.

I will have a bunch of hoops to follow, but that is the price that I have to pay for my mistakes.

Congrats on getting it back.

I have an M.B.A now, and not having a license really sucks when you think about it.

It is definitely worth it, you'll appreciate it a lot more this time around. I've never heard of an M.B.A, what is it?

member72 01-21-2013 11:33 PM

Masters in
Business
Administration

Tough post bachelors program.
congrats on that diploma masterscorpio77
working toward it myself

quitforme79 01-22-2013 03:57 AM

Congrats soberish! Awesome that you have your freedom back :) My license is suspended right now until June and I can't WAIT. Enjoy your new found freedom!!

sissy07 01-22-2013 06:01 AM

Awww....I love stories like this one. Sorry that you have had a rough, expensive time, but it appears that you have learned for this. I wish you the best.

vegibean 01-22-2013 07:34 AM

Congratulations Soberish!! Now just make sure you keep it. ;)

That's awesome. I had to take the bus for a while and hated it, couldn't wait to get a car again, so I relate. :)