Notices

Hi

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

Check out all the different forums here at SR--and make lots of posts please!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Pleased to have you here x
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Asp!

Glad you're here! Feel free to tell us more about yourself and make yourself at home.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah asp, seriously, feel free to share, it is one way we can help you, and share with you what we've been through. Tons of support here, this is SUCH a great site!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome!

You might start out by telling us a little bit about yourself and what brings you here so we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the nice welcome. I've been drinking in spurts pretty heavily since I was 28. I can go a few days without drinking..not because I dont want to, but because I'm aware I'm abusing it. Just recently I've stopped caring and just drink what and when I want. I've never uttered the infamous words..never been to a meeting...but I'm aware I have a problem.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, then, you've come to the right place!

I suggest that you check out an AA meeting or two (or more, lol). See if you can identify with what people say about how they feel about drinking. You don't have to say anything at all if you don't want to, and if you do want to say something, you don't have to add "and I'm an alcoholic"--you can just say (if you want to) that you are concerned about your drinking and that you would like to listen.

I know completely how it feels to be able to put a few sober days together, get discouraged and give up. At AA meetings you can hear about concrete solutions that will enable you not to HAVE to drink. Wouldn't that be great? Not to mention, you will get to meet other people who understand exactly how you feel.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I need to find a meeting first. Should I do open or closed...I saw that an open one I don't have to talk. But what do I say when I'm approached? Without feeling stupid
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Open OR closed is fine. Open meetings are also open to family and friends--basically anyone who is interested. Closed meetings are only for alcoholics or anyone worried about his or her own drinking. The meetings are similar, the closed meetings are really to make people feel free-er to talk about personal stuff they might not feel comfortable sharing at an open meeting. So you would be welcome, and likely to find information and support, at either kind of meeting.

Read the article I linked to--it will answer most questions you are likely to have. If someone tries to talk to you, all you need to say is that this is your first meeting and you want to see what it's all about. People are very nice at meetings, and won't force you to do anything or to say anything if you don't feel like it. It's a good idea to say you are new and to ask any questions you might have. Someone might offer you a list of phone numbers to call if you feel like you want to talk or have more questions. It's a good idea to accept it, and to use it. Nobody lists his number unless he is willing to talk.

I found it a huge relief to get into AA and talk to people who GOT me, and what I was feeling.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's a link to Austin area AA meetings. The ones you probably want to consider are the ones that say "O,D" which means open discussion. You don't have to share if you don't want to. "SP" means "speakers meeting"--those are usually good, too. S and T are step or tradition meetings--those are excellent but would not recommend it for your very first meeting--you will get more out of a discussion or speaker's meeting when you are brand new.

Oops, edited to add link.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read the first partof the article..about the different meetings and what to expect. I hope I am given some numbers because I don't have anyone local I can talk to. I feel really good just finding this site. I think I'm on the right track. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My suggestion is that at some point during the meeting or right before (not at the end when people are leaving) you either tell someone or raise your hand and say that you are new and would appreciate some phone numbers. Chances are they will pass around a list for you. Usually only the men give phone numbers for the men, and women for the women. It's always recommended that you kind of stick with your own sex when talking about anything personal, though it's fine to exchange friendly small talk with anyone.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You have been so helpful! I truly appreciate it! Thank you again!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome! If I can add, maybe a woman's group? That is where I am most comfortable and every time I go, people give me numbers whether or not I ask. Lol

It is ok to listen. I'm newer and usually don't talk in meetings but jeez... The things people say. I relate.

Best of luck!