Notices

Seeking help

Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking help

Hi, all, I'm new to the site. Needless to say I've come across many of these posts in the past searching for solutions but I'm finally taking the plunge and registering. I feel hopeless. I had given up drinking for a while and I felt healthy and in control for the first time in a long time. Then I go home to a family even and I have one beer. Immediately I felt that familiar warmth. When I got home I decided to have some more. The next day I woke up with some anxiety and to stave it off I drank some liquor. I then drank a lot of liquor and of course the anxiety just got worse and worse. I'm now so terrified of the withdrawals that I can't stop drinking. I know if I can sleep my anxiety brain can heal but I'm currently on the third day of not sleeping.

I'm trying to taper off but I'm going through whole bottles in a day. I can't eat anymore and can barely force myself to drink water. I honestly can't fathom going through this over and over for the rest of my life. Each time it's so horrible I just want it to be the last time but it always happens again. Please help. I'm looking for hope.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr.

You've found a great place for support and encouragement as you stuggle to gain a new hold on life, while letting your hold on the bottle go.

It is scary stuff to face life one-on-one, but you can do this. You may need the assistance of a doctor, as well as help from people who have been in your shoes, so keep posting and check out your options as they come to you. You are on the right track, so hang in there.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amelia

I think when things get to a certain point it's best to get a doctors counsel.
Not everyone has problems but detox can be rough for some of us - it's best to be safe

welcome to SR - I know you'll find a ton of support here...

D
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I may go to the doctor on Monday but am nervous. Any idea what to expect?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have absolutely no idea what a doctor would do if someone went in telling them they drank too much. Especially since they're only alotted about 10 min with each patient. Actually curious if anyone has had that experience.

Checking yourself into a hospital detox, although a huge step, is what I would suggest you do. It's great to kickstart someone into the recovery process. It's a tough move for sure, but many of us have done it. Usually with the help of someone elee, but that's not a requierment. The good news is that you can go there drunk.

You can get help with getting there too if you look up your local AA number, give them a call, and tell them you need help. If you want to go to a detox they can often help you out with getting there. At the very least you'll have a live person to talk to who has been where you're at now. And there's no commitment, you don't have to even tell them your name.

There's an awesome life waiting for you, sans alcohol. It feels at first as if you're life is ending, but trust me and everyone else here who will tell you it's just about to begin. Best of luck. And welcome.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Amelia and welcome! All of us here know how hard it is too stop. You have come to the right place, lots of support here...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! :ghug3 I'd just tell your doctor you're looking to stop drinking but need help getting safely thru the withdrawals. Sometimes meds are given to lessen the chances of having a seizure or just to make w/d a little easier. But do see your doctor, alcohol w/d are nothing to fool around with, they can be dangerous.

I was the same way. I drank (in the end) just to stave off w/d cause I was going thru w/d every damn day. The anxiety was more than I could stand but with the help of my doctor I was able to stop drinking and stay stopped.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I'll look into a recovery/rehab program. Got some Gatorade and a little food down this morning and went out for a walk to try to quell the anxiety. Still no sleep. Oh what I would give for sleep! I finally asked my live-in boyfriend to help me in quitting and he was supportive. I just can't feel like I'm fighting it on my own anymore. I really hope that this can be a new beginning.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have absolutely no idea what a doctor would do if someone went in telling them they drank too much. Especially since they're only alotted about 10 min with each patient. Actually curious if anyone has had that experience.
If you read around - a lot of people have had that experience
I was foolish and didn't - I wish I had.

D
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you're making the right choice, Amelia.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amelia, I don't know if you have health insurance, but more than likely, if you do, it would cover a medical detox and even rehab whether the place is in your insurances network. Let us know how it goes, good luck and glad your boyfriend is going to support you, even better.