SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Getting back on track. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/281460-getting-back-track.html)

Blowfish 01-19-2013 09:56 AM

Getting back on track.

Hello SR forums! It's been 9 months since I last posted on these boards. I've tried to stay sober on my own, and it hasn't worked out. The longest I've gone is 5 days in a row. I'm disappointed, but not entirely suprised.

I know I can't beat this thing on my own. I spend too much time alone when I'm not at work, and I always convince myself I can drink because its not hurting anyone but myself. I turn 32 next month and cannot imagine going through the rest of my life this way. I appreciate this community, and I plan on posting a lot from now on.

Hevyn 01-19-2013 10:20 AM

Welcome back Blowfish. This time you'll be even more determined. It sounds like you've learned some valuable lessons about yourself. Happy to have you back with us - you can do it!

vegibean 01-19-2013 10:25 AM

Hey Blowfish, hopefully you can figure out what it is that keeps you picking up? Have you done any AA meetings or talked to a therapist?

All the best to you. Glad you're back. :)

Blowfish 01-19-2013 10:32 AM

I have not tried AA. I should, even if only for the social interaction and to be around others that have the same problem. I have a 7 day paid vacation from work starting on Thursday. That should give me plenty of time to attend meetings. I certainly don't want to waste it all by drinking and being drunk.

least 01-19-2013 11:11 AM

Welcome back! :ghug3 I hope you find the way that works to keep you sober. For me it took counseling and daily visits to SR.:) It's worked for three years now.:)

BethS 01-19-2013 03:00 PM

That sounds like a really good plan. For me, being around sober support was vital, especially in the early days; but I will always have sober support in my life in various forms. You never know when you might need it. And sober people are lovely! Good job on reaching out again and getting back on track.

2granddaughters 01-19-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blowfish (Post 3779499)
I have not tried AA. I should, even if only for the social interaction and to be around others that have the same problem. I have a 7 day paid vacation from work starting on Thursday. That should give me plenty of time to attend meetings. I certainly don't want to waste it all by drinking and being drunk.

Watch those AA guys !!

I went to a few meetings in 1989 and they turned me into a sober person....

All the best.

Bob R

Dee74 01-19-2013 07:36 PM

Welcome back Blowfish :)

D

Bigndfan175 01-19-2013 08:24 PM

This is my story too but now I have 58 days and if a fcukup like me can do it u can too!
My plan
1) go to meetings
2) got an experienced sponsor ( kicks my sorry selfish ass!)
3) weekly 12 stepping
4) text and call guys in my home group

This has worked for millions and it can work for u too, I will tell u that my experience is that I work between 1-2 hours a night on my recovery, that's a fcuking **** load of work ESP with a family that includes 2 teenagers neither of which drive. I'd rather putz around watching TV or surfing the Internet for lulz but I am finally growing the FCUK up which is good bc I'm 45 and not 13. When ur 13 u only want to do what makes u happy, well, I can't be the person I was made to be with a mind full of boozy thoughts. I'm sure to relapse ( hate that word slip, it's no fcuking accident when I drink) if I don't execute my plan?

member72 01-19-2013 09:22 PM

I'm here with you. keep strong and keep reading the vavious resources on this site. you will find a solution that suits your personality. Don't give up! we are all here for you.