Notices

Accountability and a breathalyzer

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accountability and a breathalyzer

I have 58 days of continuous sobriety after 12 years of going to AA while I drank. At any rate I borrowed a portable breathalyzer so my family could test me at will. Best idea we ever had - thoughts?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a step in the right direction to regain trust and achieve accountability. What does your sponsor think?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Borrowed? Bignd, that wouldn't stop me. One, if you decide you don't like it, you can return it. I think it's great that you have 58 days, but what is it that is really keeping you from NOT drinking completely? That's what the issue really is.

I also think it's great that you've been going to AA meetings for 12 years, but if all you've been able to pull together is 58 days out of all of that my thinking is that maybe you're not all that serious, OR you have some core issues that maybe you should work out with either a sponsor/therapist, or maybe consequences haven't been bad enough YET.

I don't see the point of the breathalyzer. IJS...
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's going to stop you from cheating, breaking or losing the device?

If you can't stay stopped for yourself or your family, why would a device keep you sober?

If your drunk and have drank, sober people can tell...even vodka. So they'll know you're drinking with or without a breath test.

What do you think?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't like it...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The idea of it bothers me. It's hard to explain why.

If we only stay sober because someone is (or may be) checking up on us, then isn't the natural alcoholic response to figure out a way around it? And there is ALWAYS a way around it--in our own minds, at least. It's pretending something doesn't exist if nobody else can see it.

Maybe it makes your family feel better--families are as sick as alcoholics after living with a bunch of lies and broken promises and erratic behavior for years and years. Personally, I don't think it's great for you OR for them.

Just my thoughts, since you asked.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

If you are using it to prove to your family you didn't drink because they often don't believe you I guess that would be one useful reason to have it.

Otherwise, I agree with what others are saying. I think the ability to stay sober comes from within. Only you can make it happen. No machine, or program, can work if you're not ready or not willing.

To actively drink while going to AA for twelve years makes no sense to me.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey... if it is helping you get and STAY sober... whatever it takes!! Seriously.

Maybe after some time has passed and you feel more secure in your sobriety, maybe follow a program of recovery that doesn't involve your family... I could see all sorts of dysfunctional and confusing behavior and feelings coming out of that arrangement....

I am sure that you have met some married couples in AA in your time spent around the rooms... the successful and happy couples are quick to say that they work their program completely independently... a lot of the couples I know of even attend separate meetings.

But for now, if that's what it takes... do it. Do you have a sponsor?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't have done that.

I had to work really hard to scrape up what little self-respect I had left, and being at the whim of a family member testing me, would not have helped me at all.

My advice is to show your family with your actions that you are changing.