Notices

Last chance saloon

Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last chance saloon

Hi from Yorkshire!
I'm Mel, 34 years old from good old yorkshire.
I have been drinking daily for as long as i can remember, but since splitting from my long term partner things have gone steadily downhill.
Social services have taken my son, and placed him with my ex partner
I've dropped out of uni, got into debt, had the rspca called to my animals...the list goes on.
The doctor took my blood the other day and apparently i have severe liver damage
I am currently on the waiting list for a hospital detox, which might be up to 8 weeks.
Just thought it would be a good idea to find some support before and after detox.
My hopes were set on being given antabuse after the detox, but my liver is too badly damaged, so i need to find some strength somewhere if i hope to live, and get my son back.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, Mel!

Sounds like you have a lot you're dealing with right now. Have you checked out AA? Might be a good place to start. Step One talks about how our lives have become unmanageable. You might be able to relate to that!

Antabuse is, at best, a short-tem crutch, and gives some people a false sense of security. Besides, if you really want to drink, you can stop taking it. So don't be too worried about not getting that.

Real recovery will change you from the inside out, so you won't need to continue drinking. It's a one day at a time thing, though--you can only live one day at a time, and only stay sober a day at a time.

I suggest finding some meetings near you and getting busy on your recovery. Start reading, meet people who will help you through your recovery. Eight weeks is a long time, but there's no time like the present to get started.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

You aren't alone today, pinky!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend,

You must choose to stop drinking. Find support here or through AA.

You can do it - If you stay sober things will probably get better.

Good Luck!

Being Sober > Any Temptation
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

pinky, I do hope you can do this, please know that this can seriously be terminal for you if you pick up a drink again. I lost one of my best friends to alcohol when his liver failed him.

He was in the hospital for a few weeks, and I visited him there, and then he was in hospice for the last two weeks of his last. I saw him two days before he died, and it wasn't a nice sight. It was so sad to see him die that way. He also had a nine year old son, so sad.

Please do this!!! Your son needs you. :ghug3
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome pinky! We're so glad you joined the family.

SR helped me so much with the anxiety I felt when I first quit. I wasn't alone anymore, and that made all the difference. You're never alone, pinky - there's always someone here to listen and care. You can do this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pinky, sometimes it is good to step back and see what alcohol has done for you. I am guessing not much but a temporary escape. Many of us where there. You can do this but most cannot do it alone. Detox is great and it will help clear your head but in the beginning you need to ask for help, either here, support groups, sober friends, AA or many other ways. Like Lexie said, it is one day at a time. Stay strong.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pinky,

Sorry to hear you've damaged yourself so much at such a young age. Someone spoke at a meeting last night and said, "I'm glad life isn't fair, because if it were, I would be dead." He had been in 20 car accidents, but has never been arrested, and miraculously never injured anyone else. He just had run-ins with curbs, fences, etc.

I've had times when I was driving and it was like I was watching it from above, guiding a toy slot car in its groove. I wasn't so far gone that I wouldn't have heard someone honking at me if I started to swerve into oncoming traffic, but amazingly, that never happened.

No more drinking and driving for this alkie. Not even if I've just had one sip. I've been very lucky and I will not tempt fate again.

Good luck to you. I'm sure there are a number of herbs that can help bring your liver at least partway back to health. It's worth checking into.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pinky, There is always hope and I'm glad that you are here and working on your recovery.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Pinky.
I have seen people come back from where you are and they are the happiest people on earth.
They and you have truly seen the dark side, so have the most profound appreciation for the bright and light.
If you take this day and make it your day to stop, you may not even need the detox in a few weeks.
Get help from your doctor and start today.
Stay safe and call an ambulance if you need to.
They will continue the detox in hospital if you needed it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I haven't abandoned you, far from it.
About a week ago, I did something very very silly, I won't go into details as i dont want to trigger anyone but lets just say given the state of my liver it was a ridiculous thing to do. I ended up being taken to hospital in an ambulance in a right state, chest xrays, liver scans, lots of drips.
I have since been in hospital on a detox program, so haven't had a drink in a week. the longest ive gone in years.
I know the hard work has only just begun, but so long as i can keep from picking up that first drink...
After the liver scan, the specalist has said yes, there is damage, but nothing that wont repair itself if i stop drinking. I'm one lucky lady.
Oh, and the lady in the bed next to me said i look ten years younger on leaving than i did when i first went in!