Notices

What am I doing with my life!!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I attended my first NA meeting tonight. It was not what I expected but it will help me in my quest to get clean.

A funny thing happened after the NA meeting though...I was chatting to a guy I met there who has the same DOC as me. I don't know why but he was not convinced that I will remain clean until Friday...so he insisted that I attend an AA meeting 30 min later at the same venue. The more I explained that I am committed, the more he told me to join them...so I decided to attend the AA meeting as well.

At the AA meeting I noticed a totally different demographic group. The members were much older than at NA. In my opinion, they had more life experience to draw from when needed. I have now decided, even though I am not an alcoholic, to will attend AA meetings every second week so that I can draw on the life experience of the old-timers...

PS - Please note that I am not taking away from or discrediting the experiences that people my age or younger have had...
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My first meeting was an NA meeting as I really was having a harder time with the Valium than I was with the booze.

The recovery home I ended up in treated booze/drugs/sex/gambling/food/work etc with the same program. The same program Don T attended.

I feel at home in AA or NA or GA etc as it's the same 12 Steps... just the DOC differs. And it is really a small difference. We all "think" the same and that's our problem.

I think it's great to get all the knowledge you can. Sit next to the oldtimers and tell them you are here to get all you can.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am attending my second NA meeting in about 2 hours. This meeting cant be timed any better because i can feel the urge, to go out and use, move slowly up my spine.

I will resist though....but its hard as hell to get those thoughts out of my mind....must just keep busy.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Keep showing up Naive! Get the body there and the mind will follow. If you do it with the meetings, a sponsor, the steps etc...Power to you. It does take effort, but look at the effort you put into the Friday night 'club'. Maybe along with the fact the there is not only the danger of using but what happened to you that morning adds another danger factor.
If the urge is too strong, maybe talk to others at the meetings about possible rehab help if that can be an option for you. Sometimes we need to be lead by the hand to the path of recovery. I wish you well & pray for your recovery to be a rewarding experience.