Notices

3 months ?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months ?

Today is day 89 in my sobriety and will be turning to the 90th day in less than an hour for me. As of this 90th day I figure I have saved at least $ 900.00 and have regained a good part of my senses or at least I think I have.

My question is when I go to my Sunday night meeting is it okay to accept a 3 month chip? The reason I ask is that technically since there were 31 days in October and December the actual three month mark will occur on Tuesday. So should I wait until my Thursday group instead?

Also for those that attend meetings in more than one location do you only take a chip at one location all the time or at whatever location is closest to your date.? I ask this as I consider one group my home group but my sponsor leads two groups and raises her hand at both as being a home group member and I am a bit confused.

I attend three meetings per week and have accepted two chips at one group and one chip from the other. I have not and would not accept a chip from the third group. So if someone could share what the proper etiquette is I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA - but congratulations AngelBabe

D
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not in AA - but congratulations AngelBabe

D
Thanks Dee,

I really am liking this feeling great thing. It has been a long time overdue for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on almost 90 days! Milestones are something to be proud of so give yourself a pat on the back.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Congrats on almost 90 days! Milestones are something to be proud of so give yourself a pat on the back.
Thanks Lady,

It has actually been a very easy and painless process thus far. My sponsor says she can't believe how grounded I am. I attribute this to several things so far.

1. I have tried unsuccessfully for a year to quit I knew it was do or die.

2. I see a therapist, a psychiatrist and my children and I attend Family Counseling sessions
weekly.

3. I joined AA and attend three of those meetings weekly to keep me accountable

4. I have been open and honest with everyone about how bad I was and how I never want
to be there again.

5. I work daily to let my loved ones know that while I cannot change the past, I recognize
the pain my actions caused and am willing to do what it takes to work with them to a
point where they can trust in me again and not be afraid that I will let them down.

6. And last but not least. I am one strong willed you can't tell me I can't do it kind of
person. I spent years picking myself up and restarting over and over. I finally gave in
and let that feisty person fade away. I have her back and I darn well intend on making
sure she sticks around for the long haul this time.

Everything else is a work in progress. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and now I am going to live a clean and healthy life.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by AngelBabe View Post
Today is day 89 in my sobriety and will be turning to the 90th day in less than an hour for me. As of this 90th day I figure I have saved at least $ 900.00 and have regained a good part of my senses or at least I think I have.

My question is when I go to my Sunday night meeting is it okay to accept a 3 month chip? The reason I ask is that technically since there were 31 days in October and December the actual three month mark will occur on Tuesday. So should I wait until my Thursday group instead?

Also for those that attend meetings in more than one location do you only take a chip at one location all the time or at whatever location is closest to your date.? I ask this as I consider one group my home group but my sponsor leads two groups and raises her hand at both as being a home group member and I am a bit confused.

I attend three meetings per week and have accepted two chips at one group and one chip from the other. I have not and would not accept a chip from the third group. So if someone could share what the proper etiquette is I would really appreciate it.
First of all - congrats! That's great!

As for your questions...you're fine picking up your 90 day /3 month chip. No one is going in there with a calender, a magnifying glass and a calculator to see if you have 3 months. But whatever makes you feel comfortable. The only reason I would say to not get a 3 month chip is if you have 2 1/2 months only (you can't "bank" sobriety )

Here where I live, you can take a chip anywhere and as often as you like. I have 5 six month chips (I guess I was feeling particularly good about 6 months). The chip police don't exist, so you're good to go. Collect the whole set!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
First of all - congrats! That's great!

As for your questions...you're fine picking up your 90 day /3 month chip. No one is going in there with a calender, a magnifying glass and a calculator to see if you have 3 months. But whatever makes you feel comfortable. The only reason I would say to not get a 3 month chip is if you have 2 1/2 months only (you can't "bank" sobriety )

Here where I live, you can take a chip anywhere and as often as you like. I have 5 six month chips (I guess I was feeling particularly good about 6 months). The chip police don't exist, so you're good to go. Collect the whole set!
Ha ha you shouldn't have told me I can do that. I could travel the country in search of chips to collect until I become but a woman trapped in her house of chips on that darn hoarding show.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Congratulations Angel!

It sounds like your determination is stronger than ever!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
Congratulations Angel!

It sounds like your determination is stronger than ever!

Thanks so much Hope,

One thing I have done this time is make one wall in my room is dedicated for inspiration. I have each month printed out and cross that day off and number it when I know I am home for the day. I also have pictures of my family, cards of inspiration and support and in the center is a picture of me from years ago when I drank only on a rare occasion. This wall is the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing before I turn out the lights. It has helped me so much as I can see my progress which motivates me to push forward. Anyone who comes in my house is taken to the wall and can add to it if they wish. Who knows one day all of these walls maybe end of covered but they are my walls to do with as I see fit and it sure is cheaper than drinking and there are no empties to throw away.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Angel))) - I don't know about the chips, as I haven't been in meetings for a while, but I did want to congratulate you!! I do still use what I learned in meetings, and though I don't get chips, I do secretly add up the years as I go on and thank AA for their help

Get your chips, keep doing what you're doing and keep posting here. Lots of people need that beacon of light shining in the darkness, and I think you are one of those

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

chip

My question is when I go to my Sunday night meeting is it okay to accept a 3 month chip? The reason I ask is that technically since there were 31 days

Go run and get that chip friend. Pick one up all week and show the newcomers this program really works, Congrats!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Angel))) - I don't know about the chips, as I haven't been in meetings for a while, but I did want to congratulate you!! I do still use what I learned in meetings, and though I don't get chips, I do secretly add up the years as I go on and thank AA for their help

Get your chips, keep doing what you're doing and keep posting here. Lots of people need that beacon of light shining in the darkness, and I think you are one of those

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

That was sweet of you Amy. Sending an Internet hug your way. One of the members in my group who has only been there once since I started told us a couple of weeks back that after he hit 1 yr and put that chip in his wallet he would then when he hit the 13 month add the 30 day chip to it. He says he still does it to this day. This Thursday will be 22 yrs for him.

We also have a center in town that's called The Beacon of Hope. I have yet to attend a meeting there but have been invited to anytime so I may just have to try that out this week. I recently submitted my name as someone looking to volunteer at the organization I go to therapy at. I am going back to college and I am seriously considering becoming a substance abuse counselor in the future. I want to keep moving forward with my recovery and one day be able to help others as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
My question is when I go to my Sunday night meeting is it okay to accept a 3 month chip? The reason I ask is that technically since there were 31 days

Go run and get that chip friend. Pick one up all week and show the newcomers this program really works, Congrats!
So instead of getting strings of beads at bars I could make my own from AA coins. That might be fun. It could almost be a treasure hunt to see how many chips I could get from meetings.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three months sober!!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

Well done on 3months sobriety AngelBabe.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on three months sober!!
Thank you,
Getting ready to step out of bed and start day 90. Kids have dentist appointments ar 8:30 and it will tke 40 minutes to get there. Then I have an appointment at 11:15am. Then my 14 yr old wants to go to a friends. By the time I gt home after all the running around it should be close to 2pm. It will be the perfect time to tke nap. Be back later.