Notices

Is coffee just as bad as drugs and alcohol?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Ahh, Timbrodie, I felt sorry for you that your coffee thread in the "Anxiety" forum went unanswered for so long. Some of us wish you had left coffee hidden in the anxiety closet.
Those were Dee74's words off the "Considering smoking marijuana" thread. A lot of people have been banned from SoberRecovery for sharing their positive experiences with marijuana (violating the "do not promote drugs" rule). It should be no different with caffeine, since it's a drug too. I just wanted to make a point, sorry if I mislead you. And sorry about your wife.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wow. I was about to rant a bit in agreement with the OP, but a wee bit of research hath changed my mind. Caffeine isn't quite as harmful, nor addictive, as most people seem to think it is. According to webmd that is, which I understand is research based and pretty accurate in what they say. For anyone interested there's some interesting easy reading info here Caffeine Facts: Addiction, Insomnia, Pregnancy Effects, and More .

I only drink an 8 oz cup in the morning, and sometimes the same mid afternoon. So I don't consider that a problem at all. It's actually supposed to have some health benefits. But I know some people who drinik large cups of starbucks all day long. One of those cups alone would give me some serious anxiety, and I know these people are getting mood altering effects from it. If ya don't think so, try to take it away from one of em. Or try to take the coffee pot away from an AA meeting.

I never understood how or why at AA they tell a newcomer to grab a cup of coffee, relax, and take a seat. That's frikkken crazy. I never drank coffee before AA. I know a lot of people who never did. We all drank beer, wine, and wiskey. Coffee made me a nervous wreck until I learned to handle it. If there was anything I had the power to change in AA, it would be this tradition. But it ain't never happening... which makes me wonder about it all.

...if you really want to talk about something addictive and dangerous... we should be discussing sugar.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The answers are clearly laid out on here, coffee doesn't allow us to or make us do the things we did when we were drunk.
However, I used to guzzle super strong stuff and it didn't do may head any good. Racing thoughts etc...it supercharged an already over active mind.
I cut right down and the withdrawal was really quite unpleasant. I like it now and drink it now and again.
It isn't alcohol though!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by timbrodie View Post
Those were Dee74's words off the "Considering smoking marijuana" thread. A lot of people have been banned from SoberRecovery for sharing their positive experiences with marijuana (violating the "do not promote drugs" rule). It should be no different with caffeine, since it's a drug too. I just wanted to make a point, sorry if I mislead you. And sorry about your wife.
There's an important difference, I think,' - there's many members here whose lives or the life of a loved one has been damaged by marijuana addiction.

Coffee...not so much.

I don't doubt too much caffeine is not good for you...but to try and equate the kind of human cost of other drugs with caffeine is not only ridiculous...it's pretty insensitive to a lot of our membership.

thread closed.

D