Notices

Lets stay sober this weekend! 18th - 20th! Check in!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Great thread! Meetings & finishing step 4. Ready to put it all on paper finally & move on. Probably some cleaning too...
Old 01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That was me - sorry I forgot to post my recipe! I will do so when I get home from work tonight. The brine is very basic, just water, vinegar ( regular white 5% acidity stuff from the grocery store ) and pickling salt ( which is pretty much just pure salt without the iodine ).

I dont' remember the exact proportions but I will let you know this evening.

As far as the rest, you just need your canning pot and jars/lids and your ingredients - which is the vegetables themselves ( cukes, grean beans, asparagus, peppers, etc ) and spices. For spicy beans and dills I use the following spices:

Mustard Seed
Whole black peppercorns
Dill Weed/Seed ( or fresh dill if you can find it - probalbly tough this time of year )
Whole dried red peppers ( ground red pepper or cayenne works too )
Onion slices
Fresh garlic cloves halved.

Basically you sterilize your jars, pack them with the veggies and whatever spices you want, fill with the hot brine, put on the lids and rings, and then process in your water bath pot following the instructions that came with the pot. I process all my pickles for 10 minutes.

Then you let the jars cool on a cooling rack, and you'll her the "pop" when the lids seal.

The longer you leave the stuff in the jars the better it gets.

I'll get my exact proportions on the brine tonight.

OH -and count me in for the weekend sober party too!
So here's the basic brine proportions from grandmas recipe, you can use it with any combination of spices. You can double, quadruple, however much you need.

2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups white distilled vinegar (5% acidity )
1/4 cup pickling salt

Warm until combined, I usually bring just to a boil before filling jars. Don't let it sit and boil or the vinegar will boil off. Use a non-reactive pot, aluminum will discolor

Have fun! Hope everyone is off toa sober start to the weekend, my second sober one and feeling a bit better than last.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Trying, and praying. My job gives me a ton of free time, I.E. I have had my only two appointments this week, rescheduled for next week due to lack of equipment or material. I am salaried and work independantly. Basically, I get paid very well for doing nothing. This makes it very tough not to pick up a bottle.

I am about to start crying right now, because I am afraid of not being able to do it. I hate this.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Tomorrow might be tough for me. This is the time of year when my SO and I get togethor with our friends and go ice-fishing. Since all of them are drinkers, I didn't join them last week, and I won't be going tomorrow either. I just need to be away from such triggers for now.

Not sure what I will be doing instead, but I'll try to find something fun. Maybe a movie and/or the local library. I don't want to make the mistake of staying home like I did last Saturday.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just dropped my son off for a sleepover at my friend's house, where she offered me a glass of wine. I declined and told her the truth about why, and she was very supportive. Now I'm off with my daughter to go see Silver Linings Playbook.

This is one of those very rare weekends when I don't have to go anywhere or do anything, so I'm going to putter around my house and catch up on reading. Sunday night I'll go to my third meeting, which will be the highlight of my weekend!

No how, no way am I drinking.

Have a happy sober weekend everyone!

Denise
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This is such a lovely thread! I won't be doing much as I am broke and have college fees to pay in two weeks time, and every spare penny I have is going towards that I will however be working on an assignment, going for long walks, reading great books and watching a DVD in the evening. I hope everyone has a safe, happy and healthy weekend!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Tetra
I won't be doing much...
Won't be doing much? I beg to differ...you are doing a lot of my favorite things. I could spend an entire day reading...an entire day...
Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Made it through Friday dinner with friends (2 weeks sober). Tough when ordering drinks.....once he bought the drinks I was proud of the diet Pepsi in front of me! I did it!! It's amazing how a beverage of liquid has that much control! But I beat him tonight!
Tomorrow hair cut (with no hangover)....hangin with hubby and trying to stay warm.....brrrrrrr...... Keep it simple!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great idea Ken! Notice lots of folks are house bound with snow and cold weather. I like to bundle up and take long winter walks.....try it!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by 25years2long View Post
Tomorrow might be tough for me. This is the time of year when my SO and I get togethor with our friends and go ice-fishing. Since all of them are drinkers, I didn't join them last week, and I won't be going tomorrow either. I just need to be away from such triggers for now.
This is really smart to recognize this and know you have to stay away. It's so hard to change habits and where we use to go, but our sobriety is so much more important. Good for you!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Ive found a new pastime that i enjoy , it might sound lame , but i enjoy sitting in front of the TV ,drinking diet pop or coffee ,with a dog on either side of me sleeping, lites off and only candles on.
my laptop on a little table just in front of me .
reading on this site and surfing others .
taking a break once in awhile to watch my favorite TV shows
sounds couch potatoish but i enjoy it ..
nearing end of my new day 4 .
finally slept like a rock last nite ,it was great
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by junk33 View Post
Ive found a new pastime that i enjoy , it might sound lame , but i enjoy sitting in front of the TV ,drinking diet pop or coffee ,with a dog on either side of me sleeping, lites off and only candles on.
my laptop on a little table just in front of me .
reading on this site and surfing others .
taking a break once in awhile to watch my favorite TV shows
sounds couch potatoish but i enjoy it ..
nearing end of my new day 4 .
finally slept like a rock last nite ,it was great
Nice job junk, was wondering if you would come back...glad you did! Working on the end of day 12 here myself...it gets just a tiny bit better every day. Hope all the rest of the jan class is doing well tonight too
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Great thread Weasel

I'm watching my favorite music DVD and getting ready to call it a night in preparation for a day at my favorite 4 wheel drive park tomorrow!

Celebrating 6 months w/o a beer, thanks to the help from you guys!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2. Went to the zoo today with the wee ones. I'm about to call it a night!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

How about just for today

[QUOTE=Weasel1966;3777384]Lets get the right attitude in our heads early this weekend.

How about today we don't drink, we may drink tomorrow but for today we don't drink and then tomorrow we start over again.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Like. not faceboo like, just LIKE. I am doing an 'open' AA Sat. then a 'closed' AA Sun. Gonna do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Day 7 with no beer. I am a binge drinker so the weekends are going to be tough. I hung out at the bookstore and read at home. Much better than losing control of myself.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Despite being programmed to stop for a six-pack along the Friday way home, passed the store without a glance or afterthought. Grateful to be enjoying a Sprite instead.

Weekends are my toughest time, as it goes with many, so I shook down the local library for extra ammo to combat the AV. Never was much for drinking while reading.... And will be surfing here also, when not busy with the pile of 'to-do' I'd rather ignore but won't
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Day 7 with no beer. I am a binge drinker so the weekends are going to be tough. I hung out at the bookstore and read at home. Much better than losing control of myself.
Same strategy for my Friday night (and likely Saturday, Sunday) Acheleus. On day five myself, and new here also...congrats on a week, and welcome to SR!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day one for me (3:09) in the morning - does that count? Congratulations all of you who are ahead of me.