Notices

A good evening out

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

A good evening out

Well, it took me 9 months before I ventured out for a curry at a restaurant. That was one of the times I indulged my drinking the most - I could get through huge amounts of beer on a curry night out. Because it was one of the strongest stimuli for drinking I have avoided it until I felt very confident that I'd be OK (and that I'd enjoy it as well - there seemed little point in going out when it wouldn't be enjoyable).

I have to say I think I had one of the best curry nights out ever. I was so pleased to find I had no cravings for beer (I was prepared to deal with them and would have curtailed the evening if necessary). I really enjoyed the food and the chat without the beer. I came out wondering why I used to think large quantities of beer were so "essential" to a curry night out.

For those starting this January - my experience is that it really does get easier over time. That's one of the things I love about SR - that there are lots of people with much longer time than me who show us all that it really is possible to settle down into happy sobriety.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a great sober night! I often find myself wondering why I felt the need to drink everytime I went out?? Doesn't make sense now congrats on your sobreity
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great little story! I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me that it really IS better without booze. ("it" being just about anything!)