Notices

complacency

Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Somethings I do to maintain my enthusiasm about my sobriety...I spend a lot of time here and get involved. Posting helps me, because it forces me to take an honest look at my experience and put it into words...which helps me evaluate it.

I also have built recovery work time into my daily life. It's scheduled, even on days off work. It is rare that I have to miss it. Since the time is scheduled anyway...may as well use it to work on recovery.

Gratitude list, journal, jar.

Now, I don't know how it would be for me if life got all peachy-creamy. Ever since I got into recovery my life has been pretty rough, so it's tough to get complacent when one is struggling on so many fronts. But if I suddenly had a place on easy street...

It's real obvious to me right now that adding booze and pills to my already tenuous life would be madness...but if I had money, a safe place to live, and good medical care...kicking back might seem like it was a good idea.

I had a few relapses and they were UGLY. Not wanting to go through that again helps me stay invested in this recovery thing.

I want to qualify this upfront though. I am now on my longest clean time, one year, and sober time, nine months. Just so you know I am speaking from limited experience.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Threshold, I didn't make a generalization.

That was HIS story.....of how he went back out after 20 years

I talk with people who had "time" and who went back out.

Their going back out stories are as varied as those of us who come in for the first time.....

I like that built-in recovery time, we must build our lives around recovery or we end up with nothing!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your input. My sponsor celebrated 5 years clean last night and my boyfriend sat home with my children so I was able to go, and go fellowship a little afterwards. It's mainly when I separate myself from my network and meetings that I start feeling this way.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome babygrand!

After a couple years sober, I still come here and read every day and it really does put everything in perspective just realizing how many struggle with this every day. Even if I only have 10 minutes while I'm sipping my coffee, it really does help!

Gratitude is great, too (keeps me from feeling sorry for myself). Life is challenging, but there's usually something good in each day if we look for it.

Congrats on your sober time - glad you're here!