Notices

What does it take?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by andisa View Post
Your list, in addition to the one about humility, covers every angle of what it takes. Every "yeah but" I could think of, and I can think of a lot, is addressed in your list. Maybe I'd put willingness at the top of the list, for without that, nothing else matters.
Willingness for sure. Tried to hit that in #3
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
14. There are no recovery universals. Hear what has worked for other people, and figure out what works for you.
I have found trial and error to not be the shortest route from A to B. If it was not for others in my life more or less forcing me into doing things I could see no value in I would not be where I am. I never wanted to do what was out of my comfort zone but this is exactly what needed to happen.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Be grateful that you are sober...every day. because no matter how bad the day is....it would be so much WORSE if you were drinking.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Be grateful that you are sober...every day. because no matter how bad the day is....it would be so much WORSE if you were drinking.
This is one that absolutely should be on the list IMO. Show me a grateful alcoholic and I will show you a sober alcoholic
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If I could have followed the 10 Commandments and stayed away from the 7 Deadly Sins I likely wouldn't need the 12 Steps

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Early on someone with great insight and experience shared with me "A Grateful Drunk Will Never Drink"... (thank you Zippy for this)

The Gratitude section is where i first started counting my sobriety time. I no longer count (it makes me feel anxious), but i do try to visit the grats-group every day.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Great list, and great additions to list!

Might as well add that the planets have to be aligned correctly too, because sometimes that's the way it feels lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
1. Come to the realization that we just cannot drink and that total abstinence from all mind altering substances is the only path.
For me, this is the only one that is truly an absolute. If I do this one...really do it...then the others are moot. The others will make me a nicer person for sure and probably happier, but since there is no contingency on #1, then the others are not necessary for quitting and staying quit.

For instance, not dealing with my past abuse has led me into many a relationship with violent individuals. I have repeated unhealthy patterns from not addressing it, but since I have done #1, not dealing with it cannot cause me to drink. I will just cause me to be abused.

I'm not sure you can define these things as universal, but I like alot of things on the list.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Great list, and great additions to list!

Might as well add that the planets have to be aligned correctly too, because sometimes that's the way it feels lol
Silly, Everyone knows that
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
For me, this is the only one that is truly an absolute. If I do this one...really do it...then the others are moot. The others will make me a nicer person for sure and probably happier, but since there is no contingency on #1, then the others are not necessary for quitting and staying quit.

For instance, not dealing with my past abuse has led me into many a relationship with violent individuals. I have repeated unhealthy patterns from not addressing it, but since I have done #1, not dealing with it cannot cause me to drink. I will just cause me to be abused.

I'm not sure you can define these things as universal, but I like alot of things on the list.
I suppose it is possible to do only #1 and live sober forever on will power alone but that would be a very unique person and highly not recommended IMO. The problem with only doing #1 is that it only addresses alcohol consumption which seldom is the problem. Addiction is only the symptom.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm hesitant to label many things universal, but I think that you have to want to be sober, and believe that sober is worth it, even when it seems otherwise.

If I really want to be sober, then I will find all the things it takes to get and live sober.

Next for me is honesty, which the first evidence of is "I can't ever drink or use again. period."

I agree with Soberlicious, we must realize and own that we can't ever go there again. Once we do that, the rest is filler, but without that given there is little point in bothering with any of the rest of it.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I'm hesitant to label many things universal, but I think that you have to want to be sober, and believe that sober is worth it, even when it seems otherwise.

If I really want to be sober, then I will find all the things it takes to get and live sober.

Next for me is honesty, which the first evidence of is "I can't ever drink or use again. period."

I agree with Soberlicious, we must realize and own that we can't ever go there again. Once we do that, the rest is filler, but without that given there is little point in bothering with any of the rest of it.
Maybe universal is too strong but I would put my money on the people that do these things
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

"4. Remove people, places, and things in our lives that move us away from sobriety."

In my experience, this is easily the most important. Good thread!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm gonna start me a whole new recovery program that you can all argue over once it gains prominence. I'm even going to write a book.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
I'm gonna start me a whole new recovery program that you can all argue over once it gains prominence. I'm even going to write a book.
Well you should start by changing your username to "BillW".
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
The Natom Way! All will flock to your wisdom. Nations will tremble. Until then guess we have to live with SR and our personal plan of recovery
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by MIRecovery
I suppose it is possible to do only #1 and live sober forever on will power alone but that would be a very unique person and highly not recommended IMO.
It is entirely possible and quite common actually. But I would hesitate to use the word "willpower" as that suggests a battle of sorts, which I do not have with alcohol. And personally, I think quitting and quitting for good should be recommended more often.

Originally Posted by MIRecovery
The problem with only doing #1 is that it only addresses alcohol consumption which seldom is the problem. Addiction is only the symptom.
This is, of course, one school of thought. This mindset is also not universal. I do not view alcohol addiction as a symptom of the deeper problems of the defective me. I have had and will have many problems in my life. Alcohol addiction was one of those. Ending that addiction makes it possible to work on other areas of my life that may or may not need improving, as I see fit. I do not tie my "issues" up with my drinking. That keeps those issues from ever being an excuse to drink. There is never an excuse for me to drink. Ever. That goes back to #1.

I absolutely work on many of the things on your list. Those things make me a better me. But none of those are necessities to quit drinking and stay quit. If they are absolutely necessary for recovery, then the flip side of that is... that NOT doing them means my mind could create a reason to drink. That makes my sobriety tenuous.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I imagine it will be a cross between scientifical reasoning crossed with spiritual elements. I'm going to call in Ninjavery. Because Ninjas need recovery too.

Natom.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I actually think I am falling in love with you soberlicious. You're so fiesty. Will you marry me?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
It is entirely possible and quite common actually. But I would hesitate to use the word "willpower" as that suggests a battle of sorts, which I do not have with alcohol. And personally, I think quitting and quitting for good should be recommended more often.

This is, of course, one school of thought. This mindset is also not universal. I do not view alcohol addiction as a symptom of the deeper problems of the defective me. I have had and will have many problems in my life. Alcohol addiction was one of those. Ending that addiction makes it possible to work on other areas of my life that may or may not need improving, as I see fit. I do not tie my "issues" up with my drinking. That keeps those issues from ever being an excuse to drink. There is never an excuse for me to drink. Ever. That goes back to #1.

I absolutely work on many of the things on your list. Those things make me a better me. But none of those are necessities to quit drinking and stay quit. If they are absolutely necessary for recovery, then the flip side of that is... that NOT doing them means my mind could create a reason to drink. That makes my sobriety tenuous.
If we both die sober then we are both right and we can have the discussion in the here after