Notices

Hello from nj

Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from nj

Hello all! My name is Brandi, I am 15 days sober.Ive been drinking heavily for 8 years.Over this last year i started to get sick almost every morning.Somedays i would vomit blood.I knew I had to stop.I had quit once before for 2 months but I relapsed when my beloved dog suddenly became ill.I am doing my best and keeping busy.Its difficult here because my bf still drinks everyday and the booze is right in the fridge.I gotta bring him his shots and beers cause he has bad knees.
Well anyway... Just had a few questions... Anyone experiance significant weight loss? Also, I haven't been dreaming.Takes me forever to fall asleep and when I do, no dreams.its weird for me to not dream.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body & brain need rest right now.

Please see a doctor about vomiting blood and weight loss.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Brandi,

It sounds like you are in a very fragile situation. I would also recommend seeing the doctor about any health problems you might be experiencing. You don't have to get your boyfriend his alcohol. He may have bad knees but that doesn't mean that you have to jeapordise your sobriety for him. If you're serious about sobriety you are going to have to make some big changes in your life.

Natom.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I too would recommend you see your doctor. As for your bf, let him get his own booze, you're not his maid. Congrats on fifteen days sober. I can't say if you'll lose weight after quitting, but I do know you'll feel a lot better sober.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Brandi, my name is Mike.

I too went through the vomiting blood, its kind of scary. I was drinking lots of vodka and sobering up in the morning caused me to dry heave, creating a tear in my esophagus, called a mallory-weiss tear. I had bright red blood in my vomit.

Basically, it was a blood vessel in my esophagus, that was breaking from all the dry heaving I was doing. My dr. said it wasn't life threatening and it stopped when I stopped drinking.

Also, it took me about 2 weeks to start sleeping right again, then I started having really vivid dreams.

I would go see a dr., if you can. Vomitting blood is not a good sign.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome brandi, there are a few of us jersey girls here.
Please make an appt. w/your docfor a GI consult and test.
15 days is a great start. The bf will hopefully support and help you.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety! I also have a bf who drinks but we don't live together. I struggle a lot with it! Not sure how you are able to manage with it but hope you find a ton of support. I hope you do go to the doctors too!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Welcome brandi, there are a few of us jersey girls here.
Please make an appt. w/your docfor a GI consult and test.
15 days is a great start. The bf will hopefully support and help you.
Another Jersey girl here to say welcome Brandi and to echo Fandy's sound advice.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Jersey girl. Glad to see you're taking care of you. I think you need to talk with your bf about him supporting you. It would be fantastic if he quit with you, but if he's not ready he can at least support you by getting his own drinks and drinking as minimally as possible in front of you. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow!! What a great bunch of people here!
Thank you all so much! I should be getting my health insurance soon and I will definitely be going to the Dr.s!! I have lots of questions for him! Lol
I am proud of myself for making it this far.I have gotten myself into the habit of having a nice cup of coffee when I come home from work.As far as the bf goes... I try to look at it like this... Just cause I quit doesn't mean he has to.(Even though I wish he would slow down at least)Its helping me to feel in control and testing my discipline.Trying to be positive, lol.
Thanks again everyone!😊
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Another Jersey girl here (I'm really a Colorado spy, don't tell anyone).

Congrats on the 15 days. And YES, see a doctor. While esophageal tears can be minor, they can also cause life-threatening bleeding, depending on the cause. Liver problems (which drinkers are prone to) can cause varicose veins in the esophagus and if one of those ruptures, it can be VERY bad. Not trying to scare you, just saying things need to be checked out, and certain things ruled out.

And your boyfriend can get his own booze. If you weren't there, wouldn't he figure out a way to get it for himself? It would be nice if he would agree to keep it out of the house altogether for a while, but assuming it's his house too, if he wants to drink he has the right to do that. But he doesn't have the right to insist that you get it for him.

Are you going to AA? If not, do you have another plan for staying sober?

Glad you've joined us!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My health was one of the major reasons why I am trying to quit.I hope that any damage I have already done isn't too severe.
You are totally right about my bf! I haven't thought of it that way! I even had to go to the liquor store for him tonight cause I was going to the grocery store too.I will say that being in the store didn't really tempt me.Thank god!My cravings aren't really that bad. I just try to treat them like a food craving and know that they will pass..
I am not currently going to AA.Im actually very shy and I'm not quite sure if that's for me.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, I found it to be a HUGE help to me, and I'm not exactly a social butterfly. For what it's worth, you don't have to say a thing at meetings until you are ready. Of course, the sooner you do speak up, even if it's just to say your name and that you're new and just want to listen, you will make friends. People are very nice at AA meetings, and they will make you feel very welcome. I'd suggest you try a couple and just listen at first. It's great to be with people who understand exactly what you are feeling.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are right Lexi, maybe I should try it at least once to see how it is.I am so afraid of a relapse.Do they do weekend meetings?