Notices

Husband out of town Friday-Monday

Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband out of town Friday-Monday

This will be a test. I have a car and can drive to the liquor store if I want to.

I told my sponsor I was afraid I would be on auto pilot and drive to the liquor store. She didn't seem to think I would. I guess I have come a ways. Like even telling people when I feel like drinking! I told my sponsor and you guys when I wanted to drink last week after an argument with my husband. I don't WANT to drink while he is gone. I am just scared of being alone for three days.

Don't get me wrong, I like the peace and quiet. I am going to use it for positive things like studying for school, cleaning, going to meetings, and going out with friends from AA for dinner. But it is like I don't trust myself.

I just wanted you guys to know. I need the accountability.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for posting! I use SR to help keep myself accountable also...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Go to a meeting everyday and do not drink in between
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know what to do if the wheels start to come off Elizabeth.
I don't think they will tho - I have faith in you

D
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah, thanks Dee! That means a lot.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!! Posting this was very healthy on your part. Good luck, and enjoy having the house to yourself also, that's always nice, no matter how much you love them.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

This wont be a test Elisabeth,or if it is you will pass with flying colours! You have a great plan in place for your weekend.

Stay in close contact with your sponsor,speak with other AA members and get to meetings.SR is also here 24/7.

Wishing you well.Enjoy.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Reminds me of that quote...Character is what you do when you think no one else is looking

I think we have to have some of those tests so we know that we're staying sober for ourselves and can do it on our own. We're lucky we have SR and other resources to help, as it's not easy, but ultimately you're the one doing it and have been all along. I think you'll be fine
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is this your first stretch without your spouse around?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Sounds like youll be fine.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I'm now addicted to SR......I'll take it!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Is this your first stretch without your spouse around?
No, actually I have done it 3 times successfully so far. I can drive and have a car now though.

I am not going to drink even if my a** falls off, as my sponsor says. Pick it up and put it back on!!!!

No, seriously, I told my sponsor, y'all, and two other friends that he is out of town. I am not announcing it at a meeting! God knows who would show up.

It feels good to be honest and not making a plan to drink.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being 'home alone' was the biggest trigger for me. And, the hardest to get over. Take some 'me' time and pamper yourself a bit, and enjoy your time alone.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Back in the day, I used to have an urge to drink whenever my partner left the house. I was so used to it that I was conditioned to feel that way.

Practice is the only way to get over those associations. It's like desensitizing yourself from a phobia.

Every time I did something that used to "make" me drink (which is how it felt) and didn't drink, my sobriety got a little stronger. Not that you need to go out and take risks just for exercise--plenty of situations, like this one, come along when you are ready to handle them.

That's right, when you are ready to handle them. You wouldn't be dealing with this if you weren't ready for it. You can do it, and you will, and you will feel really GOOD afterward.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You'll be fine...

Oh boy, those first home alone weekends... I remember the first one... She was gone for the weekend, I there were a few white knuckle moments, LOL... Then when she got home late at night, she wanted to sit down and tell me about here weekend as she was having her tall white spritzer... LOL... she was mad at me for days because I didn't want to stay up and talk...

It is absolutely a NON ISSUE for me now.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You've got a lot of f2f, real life support available thanks to the great efforts you've made to this point.

What you get is some 'me time' to enjoy. And with the dinner and meetings and conversations with people who care about your sobriety, my guess is you'll have a delightful break.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, that sounds just like me this coming weekend. Friday morning thru sunday night. All alone. Im looking forward to it. Although my husband is a little afraid to leave me. I assured him that I really dont want to drink and it really has not come to mind. I really feel I have netter things to do. A couple months ago though, I couldnt wait for him to leave just so I could get drunk in peace and feel like I didnt have to hide it or be sneaky. Thats how bad I was and that is exacly why he is leary about leaving me home alone for the weekend. Absoluty can not blame him for that. I really want him to beleive me and trust me but it is going to take time. I know that. I just lied to him so many times, I think this time he thinks im lying too. But I totally am NOT!! Time will tell. Good luck to you this weekend.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I am sure you will be fine, Elizabeth...your sponsor is a quick phone call away, and there are meetings all the time.

I remember the first time I had the place to myself for a couple of days, with no one around. It was eerie and it brought back a lot of memories of pure and utter alcoholic debauchery from previous "home alone"s. I built up the anxiety bigger than it was, and it was totally fine in the end. I had stuff to do around the house, errands to do, meetings to go to, etc. It wasn't so much about keeping busy, but continuing to work through my anxiety and keeping close to God on those days.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OK...the hubby left this moning. This is usually "my time" to drink in peace. I am on day 11, first weekend alone and "not drinking" I am feeling anxious today because a little piece of my mind is telling me its ok. I DO NOT want to but the feeling is very overwelming (sp) how can one little thing trigger something that i have been doing so good about!!! Going to try extra hard not to BREAK!!! At work til 6...
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing Elizabeth

D