Notices

Hello

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello

I thought I would check this place out, see if anyone has any wisdom they can share or I in return. I am a 32 year old female recovering from an alcohol and drug addiction, I went into rehab at the end of two 2011 and managed to stay clean for nearly a year until recently when I relapsed.

After the horror of realising what I had done, I am now on a home detox after a desperate and shameful visit to the doctor who was to my surprise unbelievably kind and understanding.

If I can make any sense of the relapse its that I have not worked as hard as I should have after rehab. I hung my head in shame, locked myself away for months and when I did finally come out of my shell again, I didn't tell anyone about the experience I had gone through in fact I have lied as much as I did when I was drinking to cover the whole thing up, pretending life is all rosey!!

Anyway I have made an appointment to see a counsellor and am hoping that this has all been a wake up call. Anyone with any similar experience or advice, I would love to chat!! Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome, I have been to rehab and relasped. The only solution that worked long term for me was AA.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello. I'm new to the forum and recovery. The only advice I have is take it one day at a time. I always thought that was a dumb cliche, but now I get the significance. Hardly anyone gets sobriety right their first time. The important thing is not giving up on trying. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR

Dont beat yourself hold your head up for getting clean again. Drinking and using is what we do, we do it for so long its second nature. Changing that takes time and work

Great your seeing a counsellor, any other plans for support?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome McSeano -

A lot of us have been in the same boat, so you're not alone. The mental part of addiction doesn't go away right away and it sounds like you didn't have much of a support system to keep you motivated (you have one now, though!). What's great is that you're taking action.

Glad you're here!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi McSeano! Many of us here have relapsed. I once had 3 yrs., decided I could have a glass of wine now & then - and off I went for 7 more yrs. I was a slow learner.

Please keep posting and reading. I think you're going to get a lot out of being here with us. We all understand how you feel.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Seano,

I came into recovery and had 3 six month stints of clean time with a relapse in between each one. At the end of the last one I went to rehab. The relapses actually prompted me to start putting more effort into my recovery. I wouldn't want to go through them again but they were beneficial in the long run. I did some relapse prevention exercises around each one. I wrote about my feelings leading upto, in the middle of, and after the relapse and tried figuring out the reason I relapsed. Maybe this is something you will find beneficial.

Natom.